Thursday, June 25, 2015

Coming Soon to a Bookstore Near You - Last Bus to Wisdom; Ivan Doig

I love the way this author writes and was excited to see that a new book will hit the shelves later this summer. Sadly, this is his finial book, having passed away in April of 2015 at the age of 75. Have you ever tried this author?

Last Bus to Wisdom; Iran Doig
Riverhead Books - August 2015

(Amazon Description)

The final novel from a great American storyteller.
Donal Cameron is being raised by his grandmother, the cook at the legendary Double W ranch in Ivan Doig’s beloved Two Medicine Country of the Montana Rockies, a landscape that gives full rein to an eleven-year-old’s imagination. But when Gram has to have surgery for “female trouble” in the summer of 1951, all she can think to do is to ship Donal off to her sister in faraway Manitowoc, Wisconsin. There Donal is in for a rude surprise: Aunt Kate–bossy, opinionated, argumentative, and tyrannical—is nothing like her sister. She henpecks her good-natured husband, Herman the German, and Donal can’t seem to get on her good side either. After one contretemps too many, Kate  packs him back to the authorities in Montana on the next Greyhound. But as it turns out, Donal isn’t traveling solo: Herman the German has decided to fly the coop with him. In the immortal American tradition, the pair light out for the territory together, meeting a classic Doigian ensemble of characters and having rollicking misadventures along the way.

Charming, wise, and slyly funny, Last Bus to Wisdom is a last sweet gift from a writer whose books have bestowed untold pleasure on countless readers.
 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read his work and don't even know if I own any of it. I need to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad about his passing.I haven't read anything by him, but this sounds good. I'll look him up on Amazon also to see what else grabs my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another book by him that I have yet to read but this one sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a huge DOIG fan, I will put this one on my list to get for him. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.