Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Quick Reviews of a few so so reads



TITLE: Captivated (a short story)
AUTHOR:  Jeffrey Deaver

PUBLISHER:  Penguin Audio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: Indiana, Illinois
FORMAT:  - audio (1+ hours)
RATING - 3/5

I hadn't realized that this audio was a short story, a prequel to a new Deaver series, when we began it on a recent road trip. Although it hooked us right away, it was over so fast and ended so abruptly that I couldn't help but be disappointed.

Colter Shaw is the new character we are introduced to and who appears in Deaver's next novel, The Never Game.  He's an interesting character, definite loner, who travels around the US locating missing persons for a fee.

His new client is Ron Matthews, a wealthy businessman, whose wife, an artist, has been missing for about a month. It's not unusual for Evie Fontaine to go to art shows solo as Ron doesn't share her interest in art.  It's easy to suspect early on that maybe she has met someone who she has more in common with or maybe she was escaping for another reason.  As Colter Shaw follows some leads we learn there may be more to the couples relationship that wasn't revealed from the start.

I do think Colter Shaw seems like a interesting character and the new series has the potential of producing some decent novels but, this short story was just so rushed that we couldn't help but feel cheated in the end.


TITLE: Memories of Another Day
AUTHOR:  Harold Robbins
PUBLISHER:  Brillance Audio
PUB. YEAR: 1997 (audio - 2015)
SETTING: WVA and other states
FORMAT:  - audio (15+ hours)
RATING - 3.5/5


If you've been following my reviews for the last few months you'll recall my husband and I have been on a bit of a Harold Robbins kick. We listened to A Stone for Danny Fisher (which we loved) as well as Never Love a Stranger (pretty good) and now Memories of Another Day (least favorite of the 3).

This story features Daniel Boone Huggins who was raised in a poor, sometimes violent, West Virginia household and then rose to become a feared head of a Labor union. As Big Dan fights for justice and power,  as well as his own fame and fortune, he sacrifices family and personal relationships for what he sees as the greater good.

The story begins after Big Dan has died and goes back to tell his story of his life and the story of the Labor movement over a period of some 50 years. The story outlines the struggles of low paid workers in the coal mines of WVA, working in unsafe environments prior to the union stepping in and looking out for these workers. This really gives readers a good overview of organized labor, and the violence and corruption which often gave unions a bad name.

I chose this one for a long road trip as I thought my husband might really enjoy it since he spent the majority of his career working for and with labor organizations. While slow in parts and unnecessarily wordy as well, this story had some exciting moments as well as plenty of sexually explicit parts.

Anyone interested in the history of the Labor Movement in the US will probably enjoy this book a bit more than me. My husband liked it more than I did but, neither of us felt it was worth 15 hours of our time.

21 comments:

  1. I've always found Deaver's work to be pretty mediocre, so I'm not real surprised by what you have to say about this story.

    But Harold Robbins? Now there's a real blast from the past. Haven't read him in years and I think it would be interesting to do so. Thanks for bringing him up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED A Stone for Danny Fisher! After 3 very long Robbins audios in 2 months, I think we'll take a break from him now.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of Memories of Another Day but don't know if I'd want to put 15 hours into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Deaver though I would like to try him. I do think I'll pass of the Robbins though. I don't think the labor movement info would really grab me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to try Robbins, please try A Stone for Danny Fisher - so good.

      Delete
  4. I do like Deaver's main series, haven't read any of his recently. It might be time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, how nice to listen to books with your husband! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it usually has to be a NF or thriller but, he does like Robbins so this worked as well.

      Delete
  6. 15 hours into one book! bit too much for me. So many interesting books around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every book can't be 4 or 5 stars... thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. I think after I clean up some ARCs I feel like I committed to, I am going to be much more selective.

      Delete
  8. I like Jeffery Deaver and I knew he has a new series out-- I have The Never Game on kindle, but it's a shame to have a short prequel with a deceiving cover. For me personally, I don't bother to read the .5 novellas in any long running series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could have skipped this one and have gone right into Never Game.

      Delete
  9. I too am struggling to catch up on reviews. Making myself do one a day and trying to keep at least some of them short. While you do your Harold Robbins kick I am doing spy novels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad these books didn't work so well for you. Fun to work your way through Harold Robbins' books though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realize Deaver was starting a new series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.