Thursday, August 27, 2020

Book Review - Preaching to the Chickens: The Story of John Lewis; Jabari Asim (Illustrated by E.B. Lewis)

(Illustrated by E.B. Lewis) - Nancy Paulson Books - 2016

(Grades K-3)

Civil Rights Leader and activist, and Congressman John Lewis, grew up on a farm in Georgia where he attended church with his family regularly.  On the farm John's job, as a young boy, was caring for the chickens: 60 Rhode Island Reds.  Everyday he rose early to feed them and add fresh straw to their nests.  He also talked to the chickens and he also practiced peaching his bible verses like "Blessed are the peacemakers,' while the chickens fought over their morning meal.

When others came to the farm and wanted to barter baking goods for a few chickens, John convinced his parents to trade seeds and eggs instead. He was very protective of his chickens.  He even baptized them and when he preached some would often cluck back at him.  His siblings soon referred to John as : "the preacher"

This was a lovely and inspiring story about hard work, faith and caring for all living things. The watercolor illustrations were so well done and the message of empathy: speaking up for those who cannot speak for themselves shows the compassion and spirit of one young boy.  
Highly recommended - 5 stars






I'm looking forward tp reading more about John Lewis in the new adult biography released this week:
 His Truth is Marching on: John Lewis and the Power of Hope by historian, Jon Meacham



11 comments:

  1. Preaching to the Chickens sounds inspirational and such wonderful illustrations! I love the title of Meacham's adult biography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful watercolor illustrations! I would like to read both of these books about the life and legacy of John Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are good and important books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely book; the illustrations are wonderful. I really enjoyed his trilogy March.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon Meacham is a great history writer ... so I'm glad to hear of his new book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preaching to the Chickens looks fabulous and I have it in mind for a Christmas gift. The art is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great - and beautifully illustrated - little book. It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must look for this. I'm a big fan of John Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy Preaching To The Chickens. I think this is my first time seeing His Truth is Marching On but I'll check it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a great book for Gage to review this month!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.