Thursday, August 28, 2008
128 - Eat This Not That for Kids; David Zinczenko
I really enjoyed reading the adult version of this book: Eat This Not That : Thousands of Simple Food Swaps That Can Save You 10, 20 30 or more Pounds, so even though I do not have any young children, I thought this latest version for kids might be helpful as well, as it covers lots of food choices when eating out. To my surprise I enjoyed this version as much, if not more that the other. Some of the info totally shocked me: a Baskin Robin's Health Shake (medium) can have as many as 1,420 calories, 67 grams of fat, and 162 grams of sugar. French Toast Sticks at Burger King has 680 calories, and a KFC, extra crispy chicken breast and thigh, 810 calories, 55 grams of fat and 1,820 mg of sodium. BEWARE when eating out!
The Chapters are as follows:
1. Feeding the Future; The 8 rules of kids' nutrition
2. At Their Favorite Restaurants; The best and worst meals at 40 fast-food and chain restaurants
3. The Eat This, Not That! Ultimate Menu Decoder; Strategies for eating right at any restaurant
4. At the Supermarket; The complete Eat This, Not That! For Kids! grocery list
5. At School; How to survive and thrive in the cafeteria and beyond
6. At Home; Making your home the healthiest in the neighborhood
7. A Legacy of Fitness; Shed pounds with your kids with these fun family activities
The book is so colorful and visually appealing that I could see a mom, dad or grandparent sitting with young children and using this book as a learning tool in helping children to make wise food choices. Thousands of foods are profiled, along with a complete nutrition and fitness guide for children.
RATING - 5/5 - COMPLETED - 8/28/08