Friday, April 10, 2009

57 - Dog On It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery; Spencer Quinn


I received a review copy of Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery,from Simon and Schuster, and I was pleasantly surprised by this debut novel.
This fun mystery introduces two memorable characters: Chet the Jet, the narrator is a lovable dog who failed K-9 school. The story is told from Chet's point of view. Chet works cheap, (just feed him well), he doesn't talk back, and is a loyal companion to Bernie.
Bernie Little, part owner of Little Detective Agency. He is divorced and strapped for money because of his alimony and child support debts. Bernie is hired to find a fifteen-year old girl who disappears, reappears and disappears again. When Madison disappears the second time Chet and Bernie are on the case and the antics begin. Chet knows were Madison is but he can't speak so he can't tell his owner, and since he doesn't understand why they are looking for her, he often falls asleep at inappropriate times during the investigation. There is one touching part where Chet ends up in an animal shelter and learns more than he cares to about euthanasia.
The Chet and Bernie characters are memorable, they'll make you laugh when you least expect it. If you like fun mysteries, and have a soft spot for lovable pooches (especially one with a nose for solving mysteries), Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery, is a fun story that is sure to please. I look forward to the next Chet and Bernie book in this new, fun series. RECOMMENDED.
RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 4/9/09
WHERE FROM: My Review Stacks

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this! Spencer Quinn/Peter Abrahams is a local author for me and such a nice man, so I'm glad to see his work supported!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was immediately added to my TBR list the first time I heard about it. I am a sucker for lovable dogs and mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mysteries. I love dogs. I know I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not really into mysteries, but I love stories about dogs. This looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mysteries..I love dogs..this sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol! Just from your review I can tell it's a fun read. I am definitely putting it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to reading this one. It sounds like fun. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.