Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday - Noah's Compass; Anne Tyler




Hosted by Jill, at Breaking the Spine, Here's my pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection:




Title: Noah's Compass Anne Tyler
Pub. Date: September 29, 2009

From Amazon:

From the incomparable Anne Tyler, a wise, gently humorous, and deeply compassionate novel about a schoolteacher, who has been forced to retire at sixty-one, coming to terms with the final phase of his life.

Liam Pennywell, who set out to be a philosopher and ended up teaching fifth grade, never much liked the job at that run-down private school, so early retirement doesn’t bother him. But he is troubled by his inability to remember anything about the first night that he moved into his new, spare, and efficient condominium on the outskirts of Baltimore. All he knows when he wakes up the next day in the hospital is that his head is sore and bandaged.

His effort to recover the moments of his life that have been stolen from him leads him on an unexpected detour. What he needs is someone who can do the remembering for him. What he gets is—well, something quite different.

We all know a Liam. In fact, there may be a little of Liam in each of us. Which is why Anne Tyler’s lovely novel resonates so deeply.

This sounds like something I would love (5 months away though). What is your W.O.W. pick?

12 comments:

  1. I love, love Anne Tyler's books. I'm so happy she has a new one out. I feel like rereading all her older titles. She's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Anne Tyler, but this really sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually like Tyler's books. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited that she has a new one coming out. She always delivers a great read. Good WoW choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My aunt, who doesn't read much, loves Anne Tyler. Based on recommendations I bought a few of them, but I've never gotten around to reading any of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only read one Anne Tyler book, but this one looks very good. I think I might have to snag a copy when it comes out in September. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely am counting the days until this book comes out!

    As far as living American writers, in my opinion Tyler is our best. I adore her. Her worst book is better than anything else "out there"!

    I found this synopsis interesting because Tyler herself just moved into "condominium on the outskirts of Baltimore". Prior to that, she lived in my daughter's neighborhood and I actually caught a glimpse of her a few times.

    Yes, I am a Tyler groupie. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting. I've only read one Anne Tyler, but I didn't really like it and am a little scared to pick anything else up (read Homesick Diner). I know others really like her, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went thru an Anne Tyler phase about 10 years ago and read her entire body of work (at that time). I haven't read anything of hers in years. This does look good; I agree with your thoughts about there being "a little bit of Liam" in each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohh.. looking forward to this! I love Anne Tyler.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.