Friday, June 26, 2009

95 - A Short History of Women; Kate Walbert

A Short History of Women: A Novel, by Kate Walbert is a story that follows five generations of women, each struggling to find balance in their lives.

It is a subject that has been written about numerous times. The story started out well and drew me in, especially for Dorothy Trevor, who was a suffragette in the early part of World War I England. She starved herself to death for her cause, leaving her young children behind.

One thing I did not like was how the story jumped back and forth over a period of 109 years. I found myself having to often flip back and forth to the family tree chart to understand what was going on.

The writing is beautiful and very thought provoking. As I read the book I kept thinking about how in some ways women have come a long way over the last 100+ years, but yet in other ways nothing much has changed.

This is the type of book, that I think would be appreciated even more, by it being read a second time. It's not a terribly long book, but it does give the reader a lot to think about. Well done overall (boring cover).

Thanks to Simon and Schuster for sending this one my way.

RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 6/26/09
Where From - My stacks (review S&S)

5 comments:

  1. I love reading women's history, especially when you get a glimpse into the day to day life of the women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five generations is an awful lot to cover in one book - I can see why it would get confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very interesting and thought provoking. I agree with you though...the cover is boring and it certainly doesn't make me want to pick it up to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of this, I wonder how I'd do with the jumping around in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I brought a copy of this home today, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I get confused when time jumps around in books, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)