Friday, April 13, 2012

Defending Jacob; William Landay


Title:  Defending Jacob
Author:  William Landay
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Edition: audio and eGalley
Setting: Massachusetts
Reader: Grover Gardner (excellent)
Source: Library and NetGalley
Date Completed: 4/11/2012
Rating: 4.5/5
Recommend: yes


I had a feeling I was going to enjoy this legal thriller, as it was written by a former District Attorney in Massachusetts.  It's a good one; it's thought provoking, engrossing, and every parents worst nightmare.

In a small Massachusetts town, a young boy is found murdered in the woods. How could something so brutal happen in this previously quiet community? Initially a pedophile is suspected, but soon, another classmate, fourteen-year old Jacob Barber, the only child of well respected district attorney, Andy Barber, is a person of interest and eventually charged with his classmate's murder.  Jacob admits to finding the body in the woods, touching the body, but being afraid to tell anyone about it.  Andy and his wife Laurie find it hard to believe that their could ever be capable of such an act, but yet at times they wonder if it could be true. Jacob's is a sullen boy, often moody and withdrawn and full of secrets. The fact he has posted things on Facebook that could be used against him, will not help in proving his innocence.  The family is from a nice suburban town, and is shamed and shunned by the community. Their 20-year marriage begins to come apart at the seams.

The story rolled out a bit too slowly, and began with a grand jury investigation. The reader is not really sure of  what is going on,  or even all of the details for a while.  Once the story gets going though, it was totally addictive.  I listened to the audio version as well as reading the eBook, and even my husband got hooked on it as we drove to Boston and listened.  We still keep talking about the prosecutor's name, as it was very unusual, and just seems to have attached itself to our brains....Neil (sounds like Lajewdis), after hearing it so many time on audio.

The audio book reader, Grover Gardner was excellent, and the ending blew us away.  It's a good story complete with secrets, family skeletons and one story that begs the reader to examine just how far you might go to protect your family.

Try it.

32 comments:

  1. A good friend of mine read this and said it took her breath away. Every time I see her she asks me if I've read it yet. It sounds like I need to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, yes you as a parent of an only son like the characters in the book, I'm sure you might be enthralled with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read many thrillers but this may be an exception. Like Kathy, I have a friend who raved about it. Great review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it's not scary, but it is an eye opener with a - jaw dropper ending

      Delete
  4. Mary, most of the reviews have been very positive -- try it: Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it passed to my husband. A former da and now its making the rounds of my family. Everyone feels the same a terrific read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was totally blown away by the ending too! I love when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Kay wants to discuss the ending so I'll email both of you if you don't mind.

      Delete
  7. I've read a great review of this one, but not sure I could read it just yet, although I like legal thrillers and will keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did you think of the ending??? Afterwards, I immediately wanted to discuss it with someone. My poor husband had to hear about it, even though he hadn't read it. I just had to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'll email to discuss the ending. I also want to hear what Jill has to say about it.

      Delete
    2. Kay, that's just how I am after I read a good book. I want to discuss it with someone, and there's only my husband who hasn't read it.

      Delete
  9. This is the pick for one of my book clubs...it is one my list to read next. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moly..this one sounds great! I have my credit to use at Audible. Should I get this one???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sounds great! Just added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got a copy of this book, and it sounds like something I should read sooner rather than later. Maybe for my book club, as suggested above.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished this one not too long ago and really liked it. The ending blew me away as well, and I am not sure how I felt about it. On one hand, I could understand it, but on the other...oh, man. Very nice review today. So many things to think about with this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be reading this soon. My mother promised to give me her copy after her book group finishes it. Her comments about it were pretty much the same as yours, although she would have given it five stars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heard so much about the book and glad that it is a thriller. This has been compared to We need to talk about Kevin, re: delinquent young person. But I think they may be a little different. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read glowing reviews for this book. I love legal thrillers and unfortunately haven't found one to be as gripping as I would like. Sounds like this novel is what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this one on my kindle. Will have to move it to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has been on my wish list for awhile and I almost picked it up when I was at B&N this weekend. Now that I've read your review, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist next time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although the cover initially made me dismiss this one as more popular than literary, the reviews have been consistently excellent. I've been craving a good thriller lately, and it sounds like this one would fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.