Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - Crusoe's Daughter; Jane Gardam


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick is one that will be released next week and seems to have just enough quirkiness to score big with me:

Europa Editions 
April 24, 2012 
(originally published in 1986)

In 1904, six-year-old Polly Flint is sent to live with her aunt’s in a house by the sea. Orphaned shortly thereafter, Polly will spend the next eighty years stranded in this quiet corner of the world as 20th century rages in the background. Throughout it all Polly returns again and again to the story of Robinson Crusoe, who, marooned like her, fends off the madness of isolation with imagination.

18 comments:

  1. I thought the words fending off the madness of isolation rather frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that the "imagination" will lead to humor-filled situations -- hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....kind of sounds like obsession to me, which could definitely be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by the synopsis. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting approach to revisiting a classic. It definitely appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds rather interesting, and I would love to learn the connection between Polly and Caruso. Great choice today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I so love the sound of this one! Lately I've been drawn to this time period (and the 1920s). I like the idea of a saga that takes us through many decades.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  9. The setting of this book sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmmmmm, sounds kind of interesting in a strange way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane Gardam is one those writers I'm ashamed to have never read and wonder where exactly to begin. This reissue sounds like an interesting place to start. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo looks awesome!! I'd do that with a reading of Robinson Crusoe which has been on my TBR list way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post have the information that is help full and very informative.
    Alluria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that sounds different and quirky!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.