Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday; Silent House; Orhan Pamuk


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. My pick is one that won't be released until October, but thought it sounded like something I would enjoy.

October 9, 2012 (Knopf)
 
Never before published in English, Nobel Laureate Orhan Pamuk's second novel is the moving story of a family gathering the summer before the Turkish military coup of 1980.

In a crumbling mansion in Cennethisar (formerly a fishing village, now a posh resort near Istanbul) the old widow Fatma awaits the annual summer visit of her grandchildren: Faruk, a dissipated failed historian; his sensitive leftist sister, Nilgun; and the younger grandson, Metin, a high school student drawn to the fast life of the nouveaux riches, who dreams of going to America. The widow has lived in the village for decades, ever since her husband, an idealistic young doctor, first arrived to serve the poor fishermen. Now mostly bedridden, she is attended by her faithful servant Recep, a dwarf—and the doctor's illegitimate son. Mistress and servant share memories, and grievances, of those early years. But it is Recep's cousin Hassan, a high school dropout and fervent right-wing nationalist, who will draw the visiting family into the growing political cataclysm, in this spellbinding novel depicting Turkey's tumultuous century-long struggle for modernity.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds like a page-turner. Thanks for sharing...

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I've ever read a book set in Turkey. Can't think of one at the moment. Love the cover on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find the most intersting books even before they are out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this one sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I did not know that Orhan Pamuk had another book coming out. I loved Snow and Museum of Innocence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read a book by Pamuk before, but have heard some incredible things about his writing. This might be something worth watching out for. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a subject I've never read about so the book sounds fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well,, now I'm waiting on this one too. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read Pamuk, but this sounds like it might be a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of this author. The book sounds like a complex and engaging read. I'll have to watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds worth waiting for but too bad it doesn't come out sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds pretty interesting but you have a pretty long wait. I hope you enjoy it when it gets to you..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this author before but I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like an extremely interesting story. Thanks for letting us know about it, a great revue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been meaning to read something by Orhan Pamuk
    for sooo long. I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.