Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Home; Toni Morrison

Title: Home
Author:  Toni Morrison
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Knopf
Edition: Kindle
Source: Edelweiss
Setting: WA and GA 
Date Completed: 5/2012 
Rating: 4.5/5
Recommend: yes

A lot of terrifying things happen in the first few pages of Home. Two young siblings out in a field at night see beautiful horses and the hasty burial of a black man. He is being tossed from a wheel barrel by hooded men, the same men who are forcing families from neighborhoods as well.  These sad beginnings were just a prelude to what Frank Money and his sister Cee would experience later in life. 

Their parents worked long hours in the cotton fields and died an early death. Abused by grandparents, Frank was protective of his younger sister Cee, but when Frank left for the Army to fight in the Korean war, Cee took off with the first man who paid any attention too her, and neither plan worked out well for the siblings.

When Frank is released from the Korean war, he's a broken man, having witnessed his friends being killed in battle. While his girlfriend tries to ease his emotional pain, she's unsuccessful.  Home, is mostly a story about Frank, and what life was like in the early 1950's for a black, unemployed man, reentering society after the war.  It's only after a desperate letter arrives telling Frank he must go back to Georgia to save his sister, that Frank finds a chance to save himself as well.

Home is short novella, fewer than 200 pages, but like Morrison's other novels, it packs a punch.  Although I read this book a month ago and thought it was very good, I had a hard time writing about it until now. Yes, it's a sad story, and the first person narration made it even sadder at times. As always Morrison's writing is beautiful, contemplative and memorable, but the story itself wasn't quite as deep as some of her earlier works -- still highly recommended though.


19 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds like a pretty intense read, but good. I'll have to add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, live you but if I ever read a Toni Mottisson book again it'll be to soon. Phew, that woman needs a little joy in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was supposed to be "love" not "live"...my iPhone is acting up again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow this one sounds good! i always find it harder to write reviews on books that i really enjoy. you did a great job with your review! definitely made me interested to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds way to sad and maddening to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I struggle with writing review too. Even if I enjoy the book, it can be difficult for me to explain why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wondering about this one. It sounds really powerful. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm horribly embarrassed to admit this, but I've never read a Toni Morrison book! I hear such good things about her writing, but (so far) I've not read a single book. Wish I knew a good choice for a first Toni Morrison....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ashamed to say that I don't think I've read one of Toni Morrison's books yet. I really should do so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your review, Diane. I'm adding Home to my wish list. Read my first Morrison novel last year, The Bluest Eye, and was amazed at how powerful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a hard time reading her books but I seem to do better with the audio versions. Especially when they are read my Morrison herself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea what this was about, but having read your review, it's definitely going on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read much of Toni Morrison's, but maybe a novella (even a sad one) would be a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even a Morrison book that doesn't quite measure up to her others is still a book that is so much better than most other things out there. Her writing is just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't realize this book was only 200 pages. Despie its brevity the story sounds powerful. I love Morrison's writing, it's graceful and touches you and almost seems to imprint itself on the reader. I wonder if the brevity of this book is responsible for it not being as deep as her novels? Morrison seems to always write about life as a struggle but that's RL for many people.

    A fantastic review, Diane. Thank you! I need to make some time to read the rest of Morrison's books!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've a copy of this, but I know that Morrison can disturb me with her images so I have to be in the right frame of mind to read her. It is good to know you appreciated this one. I will get to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm reading Beloved right now, my first Morrison, and loving the beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never read Toni Morrison. She is one of those authors I feel like I should read, but I've never gotten around to it. This one has been added to my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.