Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Neighborhood Watch; Cammie McGovern



Author:  Cammie McGovern
Setting: Connecticut
Publication Year: 2010
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Edition: audiobook 
Reader: Coleen Marlo
Source: Library 
Date Completed: 5/2012
Rating: 4/5
Recommend: yes

Have you ever read a book and not realized you had read it previously until you were almost done with it?  That's what happened to me with this book.  Not until the end did it start to sound very familiar, but I merrily listened along and then checked to see whether I read it -- yup (hardcover 2010) when the book was first released.   Oh well, although my rating is still the same, I think I even enjoyed this audio version even a bit more (2) years later.  Here's my take....

Hey, who among us book lovers would not be drawn to a story about a somewhat sad-sack, former  librarian who spent (12) years in prison for a murder she didn't really commit?  This is what happened to Betsy Treading in Neighborhood Watch.  Betsy was accused and confessed to the murder of her neighbor, Linda Sue.  She confessed, not because she did, but because she couldn't remember, and a bloody nightgown was found in her house.

When Betsy is released from a Connecticut prison, her lawyer suggests she snoop around her old neighborhood a bit, to see if she can come up with anything that may lead to finding Linda Sue's killer.

The story is narrated by Betsy and the story quickly engages the listener.  Betsy doesn't remember much about that night, and she did have a history of sleepwalking, a history of childhood trauma which has caused her to block out painful memories, and she did dislike Linda Sue.

Although most of the old neighbors have moved, Betsy slowly begins to piece together what likely occurred the night Linda Sue was killed.  This audio book was read by Coleen Marlo who did a great job.  You'll be guessing along the way who was involved in the murder. A fun audio book.

13 comments:

  1. I just read Atonement and there too someone was unjustly imprisoned. Makes for a very good story as I am sure this one is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard of this one, but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some books are good to reread. This sounds like one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting premise. I may have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happens to me every time I pick up a book by Nick Hornby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good audio for the garden. I'm listening to a good one now and I keep losing the plot, but I like the book. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very interesting! LOL about re-reading a book -- one of the only ups to alheizmers. And you would only need one book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too funny, but yes I have reread book accidentally! I guess one is drawn to the same things. Anyway, this sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I've done the same thing. Oh well, I tell myself, a good book is worth reading/listening to a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post. Funny thing about the re-reading - I've done that myself once (or twice!). Thank you for sharing this with us :)

    New to your blog!
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Too funny. I haven't done it myself (yet) but my mom does it all the time. I have this one on my shelf (maybe a buy after reading your first review, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is funny, I keep forgetting I read this book as well. Must be something about it. I don't remember thinking it was a bad book at all but for some reason it won't stick in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked the sound of this when it first came out, but don't remember seeing it a lot. Anyway, it sounds intriguing to me. I get chills when I think of the frustration that someone would feel to be accused of something they didn't do! That's one bad nightmare.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.