Monday, March 4, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (2) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.  Care to join us? Feel free to grab the image and link your post below.

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book I hope to start later this week. 



William Morrow - April 2, 2013

"Mina Yetner sat in her living room, inspecting the death notices in the Daily News. She got through two full columns before she found someone older than herself.  Mina blew on her tea, took a sip, and settled into her comfortable wing chair.  In the next column, nestled among dearly departed strangers, she found Angela Quintanilla, a neighbor who lived a few blocks away.

Angela had apparently died two days ago at just seventy-three. After a "courageous battle," probably lung cancer.  When Mina had last run into Angela in the church parking lot, she'd been puffing away on a cigarette, so bone thin and jittery that it was a miracle she hadn't shaken right out of her own skin."

What do you think? Would you keep reading or move on to something else? Want to join in?
Please feel free to link below:

20 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the book and I have a copy on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love it but then again, I'm curious - there's something terribly sad (and fascinating) about the habit of reading death notices (something my grandparents always did!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book, Diane....it was my favorite for January. Hope you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all things Ephron, so I will read the book. Wasn't aware of this new novel...nice surprise!

    Here's my FCFPTI:
    http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious, Id keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the opening - would definitely keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I would, there are so many different directions that this book could take.

    Good Choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm scheduled to review this one for Partners in Crime Tours and it's on its way to me now. Can't wait to read it. At my age I read the obits every day too - if I'm not listed, then I can enjoy my second cup of coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think that I could do this one right now, but I hope that you will, and report back on it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I would keep reading too, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would keep reading, wondering where this would lead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read this one. I liked the opening - I found it funny. I also like anything that an Ephron has written.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those first two paragraphs definitely piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd read more! Mina sounds like a real person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not sure about this one. I think I would have to read a little more to decide. I hope you enjoy it and I'll be watching for your review

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've loved her nonfiction books but wasn't crazy about her debut fiction. I met her at Bouchercon in October and she was lovey so I'll have to give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.