Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Indiscretion; Charles Dubow

Title: Indiscretion
Author: Charles Dubow
Publication Year: 2013
Publisher: William Morrow
Edition: eGalley

Source: Edelweiss
Date Completed: March - 2013
Rating: 4.5/5 
Recommend: yes

In Charles Dubow's debut novel, Indiscretionthe title says it all! Yes,the topic of infidelity rears its ugly head once again in the world of fiction. Despite a frequent theme in fiction these days, this book was somewhat different. It was well written, engaging and had an unpredictable ending. 

 Harry and Maddy Winslow seem like the perfect couple and together with son Johnny they have a wonderful life. New Yorkers, with a summer home in the Hamptons, Harry is a successful author, and Maddy is financially independent, gorgeous, a domestic goddess in the kitchen, and they are still in love after many many years. The couple loves spending summers out in the Hamptons and entertaining for a close circle of friends. 

All that is about to change when one weekend Harry rescues 26 year old Claire while she out on the beach alone. Claire is visiting nearby with a friend. She is immediately attracted by the older, handsome, well built Harry. The two meet again when an invitation to her friend gets Claire an invite as well to one of their social functions. Claire gets to meet Maddy, Harry's wife and the three hit it off, but for Claire her attraction is definitely Harry, she can't seem to stop thinking about him, and her attraction proves disastrous all around. Even a trip for Harry and Maddy to Rome for several months where harry plans to work on his book, isn't a guarantee of keeping Claire away. 

The story is told through Walter, an attorney and a childhood friend of Maddys. It's fast paced, well written, sensual in parts, the characters are multi-dimensional, and the ending packs a wallop as well. The story is a great expose on marriage, betrayal and friendship. It's also a story without a predictable ending. Well worth reading - I liked it.

 Favorite Quote - "Victor Hugo wrote that the supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved, but that conviction is based on an assumption of such love. If we are proven to be wrong, the void left behind is often filled with resentment and rage. Hugo could have written that the supreme unhappiness of life is discovering that we are not loved. It is one thing if we already suspect the absence of love in our life, but what truly crushes us is finding out that the love we cherished was a lie."

18 comments:

  1. I just checked this out - your post makes me want to get to this one quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've been wanting to read this one! Thanks for sharing...I like the idea of an ending that "packs a wallop."

    And here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you liked this book too! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this a few weeks ago, Diane, so I'm happy to see you recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started this book, I didn't love it, but as the layers added up, and the ending blew me away, I fell in love with it. And Walter? That was one creepy dude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation, it does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yet another book to add to my recommended reading list. Now all I need are more hours in the day to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked this one, I have it on my stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's on the list, thanks Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone seems to be loving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without a predictable ending...sounds good to me!!! I want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds good Diane...well written, engaging, unpredictable ending got me!!! I definitely want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really good! I like a book with layers and when you're not sure how things will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had the ARC for a few months now and moved it to my nightstand after reading Bellezza's review. I really need to move it to the top of the stack! I love unexpected endings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally loved this one. I was riveted to the page the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked this one too! I read it last summer and found it to be a wonderful vacation read that was the right mix of light and heavy. I'm curious to see what this author will do next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the eBook and am looking forward to it. Happy to see you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to read this one! I love unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.