Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday - The Edge of the Earth; Christina Schwarz


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. This week's pick is one that I'm anxious to read.



April 2, 2013 - Atria Books

(about the book)
From the author of Drowning Ruth, a haunting, atmospheric novel set at the closing of the frontier about a young wife who moves to a far-flung and forbidding lighthouse where she uncovers a life-changing secret.

Trudy is a polished, college-educated young woman from a respectable upper middle-class family, and it's only a matter of time before she'll marry Ernst, the son of her parents' closest friends. All should be well in her world, and yet Trudy is restless and desperate for more stimulation than 1897 Milwaukee will allow. 

When she falls in love with enigmatic and ambitious Oskar, she believes she's found her escape from the banality of her pre-ordained life. Alienated from Trudy's family and friends, the couple moves across the country to take a job at a lighthouse in the eerily isolated Point Lucia, California. Upon arriving they meet the light station's only inhabitants' the Crawleys, a family whose plain appearance is no indication of what lies below the surface. It isn't long before Trudy begins to realize that there is more going on in this seemingly empty place than she could ever have imagined. Gorgeously detailed, swiftly paced, and anchored in the lush geography of the remote and eternally mesmerizing Big Sur, The Edge of the Earth is a magical and moving story of secrets and self-transformation, ruses and rebirths, masterfully told by a celebrated and accomplished author.

11 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before, but I did read Schwarz's Drowning Ruth, so this one is definitely going on my list! Thanks for sharing...and here's
    MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of this one centering around a lighthouse, and the family drama that it brings out. I will be adding this one to my wish list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds fascinating. I love lighthouses and the idea of living in one is the stuff of my dreams (not to mention, a little romantic!) But I also love the mystery aspect to this...and so far I've enjoyed the antics of one Crawley family so it's a good name!

    Great choice, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That eally sounds good and I like the title and the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo :-) I read her last book and enjoyed it. I'm going to keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like lighthouses are the current hot topic in fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like another great read!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.