Tuesday, March 19, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros



Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (2) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.  Care to join us? Feel free to grab the image and link your post below.

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book by a favorite author. I started listening to the audio version this week and am enjoying it.


Atria - Feb-2013

SAGE
"On the second Thursday of the month, Mrs. Dombrowski brings her dead husband to our therapy group. 

It’s just past 3PM, and most of us are still filling our paper cups with bad coffee. I’ve brought a plate of baked goods – last week, Stuart told me that the reason he keeps coming to Helping Hands isn’t for the grief counseling but for my butterscotch pecan muffins – and just as I am setting them down, Mrs. Dumbrowski shyly nods toward the urn she is holding. “This,” she tells me, “is Herb. Herbie, meet Sage. She’s the one I told you about, the baker.” 

I stand frozen, ducking my head so that my hair covers the left side of my face, like I usually do. I’m sure there’s a protocol for meeting a spouse who’s been cremated but I’m pretty much at a loss. Am I supposed to say hello? Shake his handle?" 


What do you think? Would you keep reading or move on to something else? Want to join in?
Please feel free share an intro from a book and link below:
 

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun; what a funny situation. In an awkward kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one...it's sitting on my stacks and I'm trying to read review books before grabbing it!

    Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like some real characters. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be reading this one! I love Jodi Picoult!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes. This paragraph has me hooked! I have a friend who has her husband's ashes in a cookie jar. I have often wondered how to greet him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this book is fabulous! Confession, I haven't loved her last few books and I love her.

    Can't wait to read your review.

    Are you tired of the snow? Ready for Spring? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice, Diane. Jodi is a wonderful storyteller!

    My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-5-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been seeing this book around. Not a fan of the author, but am interested in everyone's thoughts.

    Here's my post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this is just...strange. In the past, I have stayed away from Picoult's books, but I might have to investigate this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This paragraph sounds rather odd, but because of that I would want to continue reading on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if it's intended to be funny but, I laughed. I'm not a fan o the author but this one I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a good intro, but I've sworn off Jodi Picoult.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell me you are loving this one???? I want to like this one so much but I'm scared!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like Jodi Picoult and I have not read this one. The paragraph is very interesting! I'll have to hop on over to the library.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.