Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday Salon - Happy St. Patrick's day

 
Hello Sunday Saloners, I haven't participated in SS for a little while, but I have some catching up to do so this seemed like the perfect venue. The past week was a bad week for some of the cats in our family.  First,  it was time for my son and his wife to say goodbye to their 20 year old cat Psycho.  He entered our family home as a kitten in 1993 and then moved on to be just my son's cat in 1997 when he got his own place.  They were together ever since.  Hard to say goodbye, but he had been going downhill quickly and had a stroke and couldn't walk this past week. Goodbye Psycho, you were a sweet boy.

 RIP - Psycho - 1993 - 2013
 
 
Our 10 year old cat, Freckles was meowing for 2 days, then not eating and he then even ignored his favorite water fountain so we decided it was time for a vet visit, even though he was there for an annual wellness visit just 3 weeks earlier. X-ray showed that he was bound-up (shall we say) and dehydrated as well -- he had to stay overnight for IVs and laxatives. All his blood work was perfect, and he was home with us again with meds 24 hours later (I'm sure cat owner's know quite well that it horrible trying to give a cat meds). He's still not 100% back to normal but getting there, although he now learns to hide when I get near him -- the bad lady with the meds.  [ Freckles is a few lbs lighter, as is our wallet ($1,050 - we are thinking about counting her as a dependent for tax purposes]


Birthdays - February and March are banner birthday months for our family (5 of them: my husband, son-in-law, sister-in-law, daughter and daughter-in-law).  Just me, my son and the littlest of the group have birthdays in the other (10) months. So later today well get together to celebrate over food and cake. 
 
Reading: I've been reading up a storm, but reviewing at a turtle's pace. Hope to catch up soon.

Happy St. Patrick's Day
Wishing everyone a special Sunday.

25 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the loss of Psycho -our cat Mr C passed away at 19 a few month shy of 20 last year and we are still not over it-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the loss of Psycho. It's best to remember the good times you had with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about Psycho - what a beauty! And very funny (in a way) about Freckles - I never thought cats would have THAT particular problem like humans do! We also have a birthday/anniversary blitz period in our family too - end of Sept, beginning of Oct. It's one cake-and-ice-cream day after another! And me too with the turtle pace. For me, I think it's all the bleak weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all so sorry to hear about dear Psycho. We send many purrs and hugs to his loving family. We are glad Freckles is on the mend though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you sympathy on news of your loss. It was this time last year that my 21-year-old orange tabby, Shannon, passed away. So many joyful moments to remember. May your memories help you get through this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear about the loss of Psycho. Our deepest sympathy. Glad to hear that Freckles is going to be ok! Cody had a poop blockage once too, it's not fun!
    Happy Birthday to all of the March babies in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Psycho, but am glad to hear that Freckles is on the road to recovery. Hope all the birthday celebrations help ease the pain.

    Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to rack up a $1000 vet bill theses days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Twenty years is a long long time; so sorry for what had to be a heartbreaking loss for your son. Ia there a story to Psycho's name or should I just imagine the worse?
    And so sorry for you too! A thousand bucks, whew! Glad Freckles is out of the woods. I never do Salon Sunday but I've been a bit out of things lately and wanted to touch base. Take heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about Psycho. He looks like a sweet guy, despite his intimidating name. ;-)

    Our family's birthday blitz isn't until April. We usually end up celebrating two of aunts' birthdays and my dad's all at the same time, and then my mom's is later in the month. Enjoy your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about Psycho. I hope Freckles is fully recovered very soon, and that you enjoy your Sunday, Diane. Pretty bookmark for St. Patty's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to read Psycho has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. He will run free of pain now, watching over all of you.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor kitty. It's always so sad to hear about pets dying and getting sick. They're such members of the family, aren't they? Claiming them as 'dependents' seems only logical!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The reading is the important part, right? Just keep enjoying books and when you love something or hate something, you'll write a review. Sorry about Psycho and Freckles. The price for vet care is climbing as quick as human medical care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear about the loss of psycho...interesting name, beautiful cat! Poor freckles, hopefully he will trust you again soon. Ouch on the hit to your wallet! A friend of mine is a rep for pet insurance, it sounds like it may be worth pet owners to look into as it sounds like their vet bills are as costly as human medical bills!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, poor kitties - I'm really sorry about Psycho. You've had a busy few weeks - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry about Psycho. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet. He had a really long life that I'm sure was filled with much happiness. I'm so glad that Freckles is okay. That had to be scary and boy, what a bill. Whew!

    Happy St. Patrick's Day! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the loss of Psycho. I hope Freckles is back to his normal self soon. Enjoy all the birthday celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry for the loss of Psycho! It's always hard to lose a pet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My cat used to eat plastic and was bound up regularly. Poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My condolences to you and your son for the loss of Psycho :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry about the loss of Psycho. There are few things that are as sad as the passing of a pet because non-pet owners don't always treat it like a real loss! I'm glad your lovely kitty Freckles is feeling better though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry to hear about Psycho. I love his face!! Wow...that's a big vet bill, but I'm glad that Freckles is better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy smokes, $1050?! Oh, Freckles, you know you're loved; the least you could do is take your meds like a good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a sad time y'all have had. :( I'm sorry about Psycho. What a pretty kitty. Freckles is beautiful, too. But, yikes!! I don't think we've ever had to spend that much at the vet's, but I know a lot of people who have. I know those bills can get out of hand, but what are you going to do? We love our animals as if they were our children, so you do what you have to do, right? Well... I suppose there's a tipping point, but I haven't had to face those kind of decisions...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 20 years is a great life for a cat, but it's always hard to say goodbye. As for vets bills , we've been there and I'm glad that Freckles is recovering.
    What a crazy couple of birthday months for you! It's a celebration every weekend for 2 months, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.