Friday, February 13, 2009

27 - The Story of Forgetting; Stefan Merrill Block














The Story of Forgetting: A Novel is an amazing debut novel. The story is about a family that is genetically predisposed to early onset Alzheimer's disease.

The story alternates from Abel, and elderly hunchback who lives somewhat as a recluse on the family farm which surrounds a suburban neighborhood. We also hear the story of Abel's early life including the fact that he had fallen in love with his brother Paul's wife. Then some 100 miles away in Austin, Texas we are introduced to Seth Waller. Seth is a skinny - pimpled teenager who just does not seem to fit in with other kids his age. When Seth's mother is diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease at an early age, he is determined to find the genetic root of this illness within his family which seems to be tied to a specific gene: EOA23.

Although these Abel and Seth do not know each other initially, they each have close family members who have been stricken with the same disease.

Also woven into this novel is a story of a fantasy place called Isadora, a land where memory is never possessed, so it can never be lost.


This book is best read slowly; the writing is beautiful, and the story is very touching as well. I will be looking for more books by this talented young writer.

RATING - 4.5/5 - COMPLETED - 2/12/08
WHERE FROM: Library


5 comments:

  1. This looks really good. My grandpa has Alzheimer's so I find myself drawn to books on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really interesting! I'm intrigued and will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did some research on Alzheimer's awhile ago for a story I plan on writing some day. I'll have to check this book out. Thanks for the review.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  5. As is usually the case with me, the cover design initially attracted me to this one! I've had it on my TBR list, and your review definitely reminded me of why I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.