Thursday, August 7, 2014

Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You; The Children Act; Ian McEwan

Here's my "Coming Soon to a Book Store Near You" pick for this week.  What do you think about this novel -- would you try it? 


The Children Act; Ian McEwan
Nan Talese - Sept 2014

Fiona Maye is a leading High Court judge who presides over cases in the family court. She is renowned for her fierce intelligence, exactitude, and sensitivity. But her professional success belies private sorrow and domestic strife. There is the lingering regret of her childlessness, and now her marriage of thirty years is in crisis.

At the same time, she is called on to try an urgent case: Adam, a beautiful seventeen-year-old boy, is refusing for religious reasons the medical treatment that could save his life, and his devout parents echo his wishes. Time is running out. Should the secular court overrule sincerely expressed faith? In the course of reaching a decision, Fiona visits Adam in the hospital—and encounter that stirs long-buried feelings in her and powerful new emotions in the boy. Her judgment has momentous consequences for them both.

16 comments:

  1. I've had a review copy of this sitting on my desk for quite a few weeks now. Going over the blurb the book really doesn't sound like I'm going to enjoy it so I haven't even read the first page yet. I expect I will pick it up in the next couple of weeks to find out one way or another, but not feeling inspired just yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, cheating here, but I wouldn't read it because I don't like McEwan! LOL But also I think I wouldn't read it because it would get me too irritated about putting a kid's life at risk like that. :--)

    ReplyDelete
  3. McEwan is hit or miss for me but this sure sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally like McEwan... this one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this one and am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with McEwan. This books sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of him but haven't read him before. I reserve judgement until I can pick up a title, but it sounds different, and possibly interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will read anything by this author. Except, I got declined for this one too!! I am on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Iam McEwan does a miraculous job of making me want to slap his characters (here I'm thinking of Briony in Atonement, and that awful couple in On Chesil Beach) so I might pick this up. I've been eyeing it for some time, since someone blogged about the disappointment in the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the descriptions of the cases and the account of the work of the judge was well done. I did not find the turn of events at the close of the novel convincing and I do not endorse the purchase of this book. I received a review copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one is on my "must read" list. I am very eager to get it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Intriguing. I think I'd have a hard time sympathizing with the boy's parents though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a 'maybe' for me. I like McEwan, not sure I'd enjoy the subject though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Atonement and thought Saturday was very good, but I haven't read any of McEwan's more recent works. I think I still have Sweet Tooth in my stacks somewhere... I do want to read this one, though! Hopefully, sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would I try it? I can hardly wait. I don't usually do pre-orders but maybe this time. I'm a devotee of McEwan, and I found Sweet Tooth to be stimulating and fascinating. But even McEwan's less popular titles are wonderful to me.
    Judith (Reader in the Wilderness)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.