Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - A Sudden Light; Garth Stein

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. 

A Sudden Light; Garth Stein
Simon & Schuster

Prologue - The Curse

"Growing up in rural Connecticut, I had been told the name Riddell meant something to people in the Northwest.  My paternal great-great- grandfather was someone of significance, my mother explained to me. Elijah Riddell had accumulated  tremendous fortune in the timber industry, a fortune that was later lost by those who succeeded him/  My forefathers had literally changed the face of America-- with axes and two-man saws and diesel donkeys to buck the fallen, with mills to pulp the corpses and scatter the ashes, they carved out a place in history for us all. And that place, I was told, was cursed."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think?

Feel free to join in and post the Intro from one of your reads by linking your post below.

18 comments:

  1. Ah, the opening lines do promise an interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I'd read on. Love the front cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any others by this author, but this one makes me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good story. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting! I want to know how/why it's cursed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title makes me think it's not for me, but the opening sure has my attention. I'd probably read a little more before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intriguing! I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd continue reading. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a promising read. I'll have to move my ARC further up the pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The intro has left me intrigued. Isn't he the same author who wrote The Art of Racing in the Rain? I never read that one, but I know it was popular. And while that one didn't appeal to me much, this one sounds like it would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yeah, the last sentence just begs you to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover is interesting. Hope it fulfills your expectations. Thanks for hosting. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. The opener drew me in. I'd like to know more about this guy and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely want to read this. I really enjoy his books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy books about family, I'd like to get to know more about this one. Nice beginning. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to know what the curse is all about!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.