Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sunday Blatherings and New Books and Monthly Wrap Up

A lovely 4-day weekend here, and it's been relaxing so far.  The weather is great, shopping for fall clothes, visiting the kids and grand kids, eating out lots and reading -- life is good. Do you have any special plans for the last official holiday of the summer?

I've been reading and listening to a lot of books lately, but I seem to have lost my interest in spending time writing reviews.  I have about (5) reviews to write and may just resort to some mini reviews.

Needs reviewing  - The Marrying of Chani Kaufman; Eve Harris; To Rise Again at a Decent Hour; Joshua Ferris; The Arsonist; Sue Miller; A Sudden Light; Garth Stein and The Secret Place Tana French.

New Books - 

Crooked River; Valerie Geary (Wm Morrow)
The Way Inn; Wills Wiles (Harper/Amazon Vine)
2AM at the Cat's Pajamas; Bertino (Random House audio)
Harbor Island; Carla Neggers (Harlequin/Mira)
After the Funeral; Agatha Christie (Wm Morrow)
At Bertram's Hotel; Agatha Christie (paperback swap)
The Secret Adversary; Agatha Christie(paperback swap)
Murder is Easy; Agatha Christie (paperback swap)



 August Reading in Review - (13) books read August
                                                 (95) books YTD 


Favorite Book - The Conditions of Love; Dale M Kushner


  1. Mr. Mercedes; Stephen King - 4/5 (audio) August
  2. The Girls From Corona del Mar; Rufi Thorpe - 4/5 (audio & eGalley) August 
  3. The Marrying of Chani Kaufman; Eve Harris - 4/5 (eGalley) August
  4. The Conditions of Love; Dale M Kushner - 5/5 (eGalley) August 
  5. The Story Hour; Thrity Umrigar - 4/5 (eGalley) August 
  6. Colorless Tsukuro Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage; Haruki Murakami  - 5/5 (audio/eGalley)
  7. All Fall Down; Jennifer Weiner - 4/5 (audiobook) August 
  8. California; Edan Lepucki - 3/5 (audiobook) August
  9. We Are Not Ourselves; Matthew Thomas - 4.5/5 (eBook) August
  10. To Rise Again at a Decent Hour; Joshua Ferris - 3.5/5 (audio) - August)
  11. A Sudden Light; Garth Stein - 4/5 (arc) August
  12. The Arsonist; Sue Miller - 2.5/5 (audio)
  13. A Secret Place; Tana French - 4.5/5 (August)

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite a month of reading, Diane! You sound like you are having quite a weekend now, too :-) The only thing I haven't managed to do is reading, yet. I love long weekends. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great reading month for you, Diane! Enjoy the rest of your long weekend. We're hoping to go to the state fair today if the run lets up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our weekend has been pretty laid back, plenty of time for reading! You had a great month of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cartoon is so funny and we have always wondered about that no labor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean - I've got TONS of posts to write and little motivation to do it right now. It seems the farther behind I get, the harder it is to write posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been reading so many terrific books! I am intrigued by the cover art on The Conditions of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you put me to shame, Diane! I love the cover on The Conditions of Love. Not much going on here this weekend. Raining today and some tomorrow. Just relaxing and painting a bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a great month! I have Mr. Mercedes on my radar!
    Happy September reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Four day weekend? Lucky lady! I'm just happy to have the three - wish I could work four days and have three days off every week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so enjoying this long weekend. We've had more rain (close to 4 inches this week; 8 this month!), so I spent most of the day indoors. I haven't posted a thing on my blog since the 5th, but last weekend and today I spent the majority of my time writing several reviews. I've decided to stay away from my blog until I get caught up on reviews. Once I'm finished, I'll post them over the course of a few weeks and hopefully, won't get so far behind. There's something nice about a clean slate, don't you think?

    Looking forward to that new Tana French book. Glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that cartoon! I also love the cover of The Conditions of Love - adore budgies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cartoon. Looks like you had a great August. I hope you enjoy the fall as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.