Tuesday, December 8, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Trouble Maker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology; Leah Remini


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where I share the first paragraph sometimes two from a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. I fan of the sitcom, King of Queens, co-starring Leah Remini, and curious about Scientology, I'm anxious to begin this book which has been getting RAVE reviews.

Ballantine - November 2015

"Let me start with this:

I am an apostate.

I have lied.  I have cheated.  I have done things in my life that I am not proud of, including but not limited to:
  • falling in love with a married man nineteen years ago
  • being selfish and self-centered
  • fighting with virtually everyone I've ever known (via hateful emails, texts, and spoken words)
  • physically threatening people (from parking meter maids to parents who hit their kids in public)
  • not showing up at funerals of people I've loved (because I don't deal well with death)
  • being, on occasion, a horrible daughter, mother, sister, aunt stepmother, wife (this list goes on and on).
The same goes for every single person in my family:
  • My husband, also a serial cheater, sold drugs when he was young.
  • My mother was a self-admitted slut in her your days (we're talking the 1960's, before she got married).
  • My dad sold cocaine (and committed various other crimes), and then served time at riders Island"

What do you think -- keep reading or pass? 
(Feel free to join in this week by posting your intro below?


33 comments:

  1. This is my kind of memoir...I like the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine we all could make lists like this, some of us maybe not quite so colorful. :-) This sounds like an interesting book, Diane. I'll be curious to know what you think of it when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like she has definitely had an interesting life! I haven't watched King of Queens and I'm not familiar with this actress, but it sounds like her life hasn't been dull.
    Thank you for hosting every week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with the author, but I think I'd like to read it. It will probably make me realize how dull my life has been. (Thank God)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure, she's not exactly selling herself, is she? Funny though so I'd read a little further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more about the Scientology cult aspect from what I've read so far

      Delete
  6. I'm not usually interested in these kinds of memoirs, but I'm curious about her "surviving Scientology" (as it says on the cover).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good from what I read so for - the Scientology aspect.

      Delete
  7. She sure starts off with a great hook. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Umm...YES! I loved Going Clear about Scientology and have this one on my TBR. Hopefully I'll get to it sometime next year when I need a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This type of book is perfect for this hectic month (for me).

      Delete
  9. I've been eyeing this one . . . sounds like a definite attention-getter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's quite the beginning! I wonder how much addresses Scientology because that would be the draw for me - I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of it Mary - that is the hook, more about her 30 years with Scientology and how they operate.

      Delete
  11. I have only a vague idea of who Leah Remini is, so I probably wouldn't pick this one up, but it does sound like a page-turner! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised by the number of comments who have never watched King of Queens considering it was on at lest 8 years.

      Delete
  12. That sounds pretty interesting to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a powerful opening! I've seen Leah Rimini in an interview talking about her memoir, and it looks sounds really intriguing. This opening makes me want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like she pulls no punches. Looks like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her character on King of Queens now seems really accurate LOL

      Delete
  15. I watched and loved her on King of Queens. This is a book I would not go out and purchase, I may pick it up from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just mentioned in another comment - she seemed to fit her K go Q role perfectly based on intro LOL

      Delete
  16. Definitely intriguing! I guess it's best to lay your cards out on the table right at the start. I've not heard of Leah Remini before but I'll certainly check her out. Thanks for sharing and hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to read this one. I love Leah, watch her show It's All Relative... but am more fascinated by the gossip she'll provide regarding Scientology.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.