Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Book Review - Hatchet Island; Paul Doiron

 

Hatchet Island; Paul Doiron
Macmillan Audio - 2022 - (9 hours - 1 minute)
(narrator - Henry Leyva - very good)

Maine Game Warden, Mike Bowditch and his biologist girlfriend Stacey Stevens have been planning a sea kayaking / camping trip to the Maine Seabird Initiative, a sanctuary to puffins and terns where Stacey had once previously been a project manager.  She had received request from her friend Kendra Ballard asking her to come with Mike after the staff has faced some harassment from disgruntled lobstermen recently.  Things seem to take a more sinister turn when the project manager goes missing and gunshots during the night lead to the deaths of (2) interns.  Mike's job is to figure out what is going on and why a peaceful sanctuary has ended up a crime scene.

This is book #13 in the Mike Bowditch Maine Game Warden series but, this can easily be read as a standalone mystery.  What I love about this series is that it's very easy to pick up any title in the series and not feel lost.  The writing is always very good and the Maine setting, descriptiveness of the area, the people of Maine and all the little nuances that go along with each mystery just work so well and make me want to come back for more. In this case the peacefulness of the sanctuary for puffins and terns contrasted by the darker, sinister happenings gave the island an eerie feel.  The mystery was well-paced, atmospheric and had murder and mayhem to boot; the story held my interest. I liked that it took place over just a couple of days as well. Bowditch fans and newcomers to the series alike should not be disappointed.

Rating - 4.5/5 stars

(NOTE: The audio download was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for my unbiased review.)

17 comments:

  1. I like the setting as well. It sounds so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the setting for books is great and the mystery never seems contrived.

      Delete
  2. This series is on my TBR list, but I do want to start with #1. Soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will enjoy it. Mike, the Game Warden is a great character and the mysteries and setting are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this series, but always find a Maine setting appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun series. I love it when there are mystery books where we get to know the main characters and can follow their lives. I feel that way about Faye Kellerman's books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Mike Bowditch and can't wait to read this latest mystery. Plus, there's puffins! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is a big fan of this series and is likely caught up on it. I keep meaning to try it, but I think I might read this one (out of order! - Ha!). I listened to a recent event from the Poisoned Pen Bookstore that featured Paul Doiron and Sarah Stewart Taylor, whose books I recently finished and talked about. Loved hearing what both had to say. Thanks for talking about it, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.D. is quite popular, I'm not familiar with Sarah Stewart Taylor but, I will check her out.

      Delete
  8. Hi Diane,
    I'm so happy that you really liked this one. Actually, I only recently discovered it on a local bookstore posting, and now I must order it for Ken (my native Maine love) and me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad Ken is a fan. I do love how Doiron has a way of making you feel like you are lurking in the woods and surrounding area with him.

      Delete
  9. That does sound like a worthwhile series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it os quite well written and the mysteries are always different and fun to get involved in.

      Delete
  10. I've been looking for a good mystery to read recently and I love the uniqueness of this setting! I have never read a book set in Maine before and this sounds compelling.
    claire @clairefy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maine is a great setting for a mystery or a beach themed getaway type story as well. Thank you for stopping by today.

      Delete
  11. The setting sounds great! I may dive into this series with this book since you say they can be read out of order.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.