Friday, April 2, 2010

46 - The Language of Secrets; Dianne Dixon















 In The Language of Secrets, Justin Fisher has been long estranged from his family. He returns to Southern California with his wife and young son, deciding to reconnect with the family from whom he has been long estranged, but when he arrives he is in for a shock.  He learns that his parents have died, and when he visits the cemetery, he notices on the gravestone, not only the names of his parents, but his name as well.  The dates next to his name indicate he died when he was just four year's old.  Having little memory of his childhood or his parents, slowly details emerge about Justin's painful past. 

MY THOUGHTS - I so wanted to love this book. I loved the title, the cover was gorgeous, but in the end I was disappointed.  The story goes back and forth in time, and at times it was difficult to keep track of the many characters and their story lines.  The dialogue seemed strained, and for me, the book was easy to put down, and harder to pick back up.  The novel is one of betrayal, infidelity and long buried secrets. Ultimately, a depressing story, about a troubled man with a painful past whose long repressed memories slowly are revealed.  (Rating 2/5 stars)
Review copy received from Doubleday


21 comments:

  1. Sorry to see this one's a stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the clip art thumbs down- sorry you didn't enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, give your self a hand for sticking with it. I find that if I put a book down without looking forward to picking it back up, it usually ends up in my DNF pile. Sadly, I had a few of these this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-the premise sounds so good-creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. uh-oh! I love the title and the cover... so sad it is not good :()

    :) Have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a shame that you didn't enjoy this - as I agree that the title and basic story etc sound very promising... oh well, you can't have them all I guess.

    thanks for sharing and happy Easter!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry you didn't like the book but the cover looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a shame! It does "look" good. Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry to hear that this book didn't do it for you. I hope the next one will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry this didn't work for you. This time the book really did "look" good but it's the total opposite. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. easy to lay down and hard to pick back up....depressing....no wonder you rated it so low. Thank you ever so much for the honest thoughts on this book and why it didn't work for you. I'm pretty sure that I would feel the same way so I'm not going to bother with this one at all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought this one looked promising, too. I won't be looking for it too quickly now though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry this didn't work for you, Diane. I think you gave it a fair try. Hope the next book is more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this book is on it's way to my house. Now I'm not so anxious to read it. I thought it sounded good too. I'll have to read it as I won it through Librarything Early Reviewers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, unfortunate. What a massive red thumbs down to share your feelings! I will give this one a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree the cover is great. I've been hearing that this one isn't the best. It's sitting in my pile somewhere so I won't be rushing to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! This book sounds so good and I've been looking forward to it...

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cover is gorgeous. Too bad the story didn't measure up - I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel your pain. I've had the same thoughts on this one - love the title & cover...glad I can take one of the list! Thanks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear that this book was a disappointment to you. I had been curious about it after reading the synopsis, but it sounds like it really fails in it's delivery. Thanks for the honest review. Think I'll skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bummer! The story line on this one sounded really interesting to me...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.