Saturday, April 17, 2010

53 - Bloodroot; Amy Greene

 



"Named for a flower whose blood-red sap possesses the power both to heal and poison".  

A multi generational debut novel that takes place deep in the Appalachian mountains of Tennessee. The audio version is read by a full cast of readers, whose voices tell a haunting, yet realistic, tale of the Lamb and Odom clan. Their story chronicles the history of these individuals and the life long effects of poverty, alcoholism  and violence.  For generations, magic has played an important role in the real lives of these families, and it was believed that a curse on this family would be lifted when a baby was born with deep blue eyes.

Myra, daughter of Clio,  lives on Bloodroot Mountain with her grandmother, Byrdie who adores her. Byrdie has taken care of her since her mother and father were killed in a train wreck. Myra grows up to be a beauty, with deep blue eyes and black hair, but she is a wild spirit. There is also Doug Cotter, a shy boy who is attracted to Myra. However, it is an attractive man named John Odom who wins her heart, and her life is forever changed. Later there are Myra’s twins, Johnny and Laura, whose lives suffer are affected by the acts of others.
 
MY THOUGHTS - Without giving away anything significant, I'll just add that Bloodroot is a rich character study steeped in suspense -- almost like a Southern Gothic tale.  It is a story which demonstrates just how closely our lives are entwined and how the choices and actions of one generation carry over to the next generation as well.  The writing is vivid, the story memorable and the author is one who I hope see more from in the future.
RECOMMENDED - 4/5 stars (Library -  audio book)

14 comments:

  1. I'm supposed to be getting this one and after your review, I sure hope it comes - it sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I'm seriously going to have a list on my Goodreads account just for you!!!! I want to read this one..southern Gothic...must read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's been on my radar. Glad to hear it will not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me as Southern Gothic tale. I will put it down for my American Challenge read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been curious about this book and "southern gothic" makes me perk right up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard of this book - Southern gothic tale - sounds good to me as I love gothic fiction! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds sooo good ... just checked and YES my library has it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had this on my TBR list and am really happy to hear you liked it so much - this means I will also like it :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been interested in reading this one since I first heard about it (and saw that gorgeous cover)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good I am so glad you liked this one so much! I really really want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping for more book from this author as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm, I think I would really like to read some Southern gothic literature and your review makes me want to rush right out and pick this book up. It sounds like a great read, and like something that would really capture my interest. Wonderful review. This goes to the top of the wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Southern Gothic - it gets no better! I can't wait to read this one. It has been on my list since the first time I saw it, so I'm very glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.