Thursday, April 29, 2010

57 - Caught; Harlan Coben




















In this suspense thriller Wendy Tynes is a 30 something woman who lost her husband as a result of a drunk driver.  She is a driven woman, who has made a name for herself by catching child predators. She does this by luring these predators in internet chat rooms and then setting up a sting operation by arranging to meet them at a specific location.  Little do these individuals know that behind the scenes is a camera crew ready to film the entire scene ( imagine Dateline’s: To Catch a Predator).

Flash forward and the man who is "caught" is Dan Mercer, a social worker who works with troubled children and young adults.  Mercer claims he has a good reason for being at the location. When the Mercer case is thrown out, Wendy begins to question if her initial instincts were correct or whether Dan could have been framed.  There is also a seventeen year old girl who has mysteriously disappeared. Could there be a connection?

Without giving any spoilers, I’ll just say that although this audio book started out a bit slow for me, it quickly picked up its pace and kept me guessing along the way. The reader, Carrington MacDuffie, was very good as well.  Just when I thought I had the story figured out, out came a few curve balls and my theory was quickly debunked.

MY THOUGHTS: If you are in the mood for a good thriller, and one that drives home a moral message as well, give this book a try. Although this is the author’s 17th novel, this novel, Caught, is a stand alone, so you need not worry if this author is new to you. 
RECOMMENDED – 4/5 stars (Library audio book)

19 comments:

  1. I have this one on my Kindle. Hope to get to it this summer. Glad you liked it, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting premise for a suspense novel. I think I read a Harlan Coben once before, years ago when all I read was thrillers, but I don't remember which one!

    I just finished Shutter Island - an excellent psychological thriller!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read my first Coben book and I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read two of Coben's books. I loved the one and didn't like the other. This one sounds like the one I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love thrillers - I have only read one Coben story. This looks like it will have to be next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suspense kinda scares me but this one sounds different because it has a moral. May have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coben is a masterful story teller. I have not read this one yet. It does sound good.
    Sue, I would like to read Shutter Island. It is on my list for this summer's reads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds good. I'd like to read something by this author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only read one of Harlan Coben's books, but I really liked it and plan to read more. That was a great review - I'm glad you mentioned it was a stand-alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so on this one!! I really like his Myron Bolitar series so I'm sure that I will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got a couple of Coben's waiting for me under my bed--I'm looking forward to getting to them this summer. I think they'll make great poolside reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my! This does sound like a good read! I also like the catching predators angle in the story. I haven't ever encountered that in fiction as of yet. Great review! I will be looking for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you read any of his other books? I've read three or four and I felt they were starting to follow a pattern. I'm wondering if he broke out of it with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen

    I have read a few of his other book ( not in a while). This is a stand alone so you'll have to decide for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I didn't read this one and I'm a big Coben fan. Is this a new one I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really liked Coben's latest. Of course, I like everything he writes, but this was one of his better ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read this a few weeks ago while I was traveling and found it to be perfect plane reading! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.