Tuesday, October 25, 2011

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros ~ The Bent Twig; Dorothy Canfield


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.

This week, I wanted to select something written in the early 1900's, and The Bent Twig (1915) seems to fit.

(free Kindle download)
Here's the first paragraph intro:

"Like most happy childhoods, Sylvia's early years lay back of her in a long, cheerful procession of featureless days, the outlines of which were blurred into one shimmering glow by the very radiance of their sunshine.  Here and there she remembered patches, sensations, pictures, scents: Mother holding baby sister up for her kiss, and the fragrance of the baby powder--the pine-trees near the house chanting loudly in an autumn wind--her father's alert face, intent on the toy water-wheel he was setting for her in the little creek in their field--the beautiful sheen of the pink silk dress Aunt Victoria had sent her--the look of her mother's steady, grave eyes when she was so sick--the leathery smell of the books in the University Library one day when she followed her father there--these were the occasional clearly, outlined, bright-colored illuminations wrought on the burnished gold of her sunny little life.  But from her seventh birthday her memories began to have perspective, continuity.  She remembered an occasional whole scene, a whole afternoon, just as it happened."

19 comments:

  1. I like the writing style, Diane - but I'd need to know more about it before I read it.

    Here's mine:

    http://the-book-addict.blogspot.com/2011/10/tuesday-intros-finkler-question-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot. I'd definitely keep reading. Why did you want to pick something early 1900s?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paultia, I have only been reading contemporary lit for the past year it seems, so I just wanted to enjoy (and compare) something more classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd keep reading, especially since The Homemaker was one of my favorites a couple years ago. Enjoy!

    My Tuesday Intro:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2011/10/two-for-one-tuesday-intros.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure I would read this, as it seems rather descriptive, and the intro paragraph lost my attention a little bit. I will be interested in hearing what you thought of it, if you do decide to go on with it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is a lovely paragraph! I remember my childhood like that, too, and as I read this, I could almost see flashes again.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TEASER TUESDAY POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't grab me yet. Maybe with a little bit more.

    This weeks offering:

    http://booksnwhatnot.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-chapter-first-paragraph_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy a good early novel every now and again, and that intro definitely draws me in. I'm thinking of trying Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell soon, also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually it sounds quite good and I can't really say I have read any non-contemporary books in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would read further along for sure. I enjoy the poetic prose writing style.

    I've hopped along with you this week!
    First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Tumble Along

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to read more of her work. Oh, did I ever love this description.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me again, I just 'bought' Hillsboro People for free on the kindle. Thank you for the reminder of this great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked it and I'd keep reading. She painted a beautiful picture just in that simple paragraph.

    I felt the need to read something light, funny and maybe a little silly. My First Paragraph is here: Quirky Girls Read

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is some lovely prose. If I picked it up and read the first paragraph, I would want to read it.

    I'm back! http://thetruebookaddict.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-chapterfirst-paragraphstuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of good description. Wonder what the rest of the book is like?

    ReplyDelete
  16. the descriptive language is so sweet! and a *free* download makes it all the more sweeter!

    here's my First...little late in the day, but here it is nonetheless:

    http://www.anovelsource.com/2011/10/first-chapter-first-paragraph-fare.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting! I never would have picked this novel up, but yes I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.