Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday; 1Q84; Haruki Murakami

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine. Here's a soon to be released (October 25th) book by an author I've enjoyed a lot in the past.   (I impulsively preordered this one for my Kindle so I would have it on the day of its release).  

Are you a Murakami fan?

(About the Book)

“Murakami is like a magician who explains what he’s doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers . . . But while anyone can tell a story that resembles a dream, it's the rare artist, like this one, who can make us feel that we are dreaming it ourselves.” —The New York Times Book Review
 
The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo.

A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver’s enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 —“Q is for ‘question mark.’ A world that bears a question.” Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.

As Aomame’s and Tengo’s narratives converge over the course of this single year, we learn of the profound and tangled connections that bind them ever closer: a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision; a mysterious religious cult that instigated a shoot-out with the metropolitan police; a reclusive, wealthy dowager who runs a shelter for abused women; a hideously ugly private investigator; a mild-mannered yet ruthlessly efficient bodyguard; and a peculiarly insistent television-fee collector.

A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell’s—1Q84 is Haruki Murakami’s most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.

19 comments:

  1. This one sounds sooo good! Adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not ever read any Murakami, even though I've heard such good things. This one is appealing and I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Tracy. I've not read any Murakami, but this sounds like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read anything by that author. That book does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fabulous! I am not a Murakami fan, and had trouble with this one book of his that I did read, but the synopsis of this one really makes me excited! I am adding it to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author yet, but I've been seeing a lot of buzz...and this one sounds so mind-boggling and awesome....thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in town earlier today, and had a chance to look at this one in Waterstones - I really liked the intro (though it's only out in hefty hardback at the moment, so I'll be waiting until it's out in paperback).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard a lot about this one...sounds like it's going to be a big release. I think the cover is arresting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't decided whether to buy the book or the Kindle ebook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Murakami, he is one of my favourite authors. I haven´t read only one of his books, but I hope that my collection will be complete by Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The more I read about this book, the more I want it in my hands. I haven't read anything by Murakami before, but this sounds great. Good choice!

    WOW @ Working for the Mandroid

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read anything by this author but the more I see this book the more I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to read this author's writings but I'm about to recitify that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been waiting for this one for years. I've ordered it in hardcover and for my nook. Apparently, I'll need a blogging hiatus in order to simply read it. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep hearing good things about this book!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know another blogger who can't wait for this one too...Ti gushes about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've yet to try Murakami, but I'm curious. A part of me thinks this sounds really interesting, the other part thinks it might be too mind bendy for my liking. Only one way to find out, I guess! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been seeing mention of this book around the blogosphere and it does look really good. I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Add me to the list of those who are waiting! In the meantime, there's a great profile of Murakami in the New York Times magazine. I've discussed it in a post on my blog (here), where me and my fellow writers discuss Murakami quite a bit.

    I se a lot of readers who haven't read Murakami yet, but who plan to have their first introduction to him with 1Q84. I wish I could again have that experience of reading Murakami for the first time.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.