Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Always Watching; Chevy Stevens


Title: Always Watching 
Author: Chevy Stevens
Publication Year:  2013
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Edition: audio
Reader: Joyce Bean (very good)
Source:  Library and NetGalley (eGalley)
Date Completed: July - 2013
Rating: 3.5/5

For readers like me who have not read the (2) previous novels by Chevy Stevens, the main character of this novel, Dr. Nadine Lavoie was also a character in the other two books.
Dr. Lavoie is a psychiatrist who has some mental health issues of her own.  She suffers from panic attacks and claustrophobia, but the root of these conditions was never known by her. 

One day Nadine is working with Heather Simeon,  a new psychiatric patient who has attempted suicide. Heather shares some disturbing information with Nadine that begins to trigger memories long repressed.  When Nadine was about thirteen, her unstable mother in an effort to escape her husband's violent mood swings, took Nadine and her brother to live at a commune run by a crackpot named Aaron Quinn.  Aaron used mind control over his followers or rather his victims, and although people have left the commune -- Aaron in some ways always seems to be close by.  Although the family eventually left the commune, it's clear that things happened that perhaps were covered up.

The novel also has a subplot about Nadine's daughter Lisa who is a current target of Aaron. Lisa has battled drug issues and has been living on the streets.  Nadine isn't sure where her daughter is or, even if she is still alive.

Readers of psychological thrillers who enjoy a lot of edge of your seat moments, might find themselves a tad disappointed by this effort, but for me it was still a decent read. I enjoyed the set up of the first half of the book, more than the finish. I am looking forward to reading the author's two earlier books, Still Missing and Never Knowing, which Steven's fans have seemed to rave about.

14 comments:

  1. This one was good..but the first book was the best, really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like psychological thrillers...think I'll start at the beginning with Still Missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first two which I enjoyed very much but not this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still Missing had me scared for weeks and I swore I'd never be a real estate agent after reading it! I remember the psychiatrist and think its cool Stevens has worked her way back around to sharing her story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Stevens yet but this sounds like my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've listened to Still Missing although it was long ago and I did enjoy it. I'm in the fence with this one as I've heard a lot of people haven't liked it too much. Hopefully my library will get the audio and I'll give it a listen. Glad it was a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read Ms. Stevens other books and enjoyed them, and while I do love a good thriller, I also love well-written psychological suspense, so I will definitely be reading this one also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of her previous books and hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds good! Besides, I'm always watching too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've loved all three of her books, especially Still Missing, and can't wait to see what she writes next. Definitely give the other two a read, they are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knowing the Joyce Bean narrates, I will be listening instead of reading. She is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her earlier books are awesome..IMHO :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There was something really disturbing about Still Missing - you almost felt like a voyeur. Good thriller.

    I haven't read her other book so I probably will try to read that one first before this one. You'll have to let us know what you think of the other books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been hearing from others who've read both of Stevens' other books that this one was not as good but it still seems to have been worth reading. And the good news is, you have the good ones to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.