Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Quarry; Iain Banks


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book that was released in June.


The Quarry; Iain Banks
Redhook/Hachette; June 2013

"Most people are insecure, and with good reason. Not me.

This is probably because I've had to think about who I am and who I am not, which is something your average person generally doesn't have to do.  Your average person has a pair of parents. or at least a mother, or at least knows roughly where they fit into all of that family business in a way that I, for better or worse, don't.  Usually I think it's for better, though sometimes not.

Also, it helps that I am very clever, if challenged in other ways.  Challenged in the context means that I am weird, strange, odd, socially disabled, forever looking at things from an unusual angle, or however you want to put it."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading?  Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.
 
 

13 comments:

  1. This definitely seems to be the sort of book that would interested me into reading more. I want to find out more about the person talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting. I'm not sure it's my kind of book, but I'd read a little further to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite sure yet. I'd have to read a little bit more, but this isn't immediately grabbing me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This character does sound intriguing, so I do want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds as if it will be a kind of exciting thriller! I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. First time I've come across this book and I haven't read this author before so I'd have to read a little more to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because of this "...I am weird, strange, odd, socially disabled, forever looking at things from an unusual angle..." I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The opening definitely intrigued me enough to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would probably look for a different book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure about the writing for this one. I'll look for your review. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already like the narrator in this opening paragraph. As he says, he's very clever. I've never read anything by this author but I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thoughts were exactly like Beth's. I love different in any form, so this is a book that I would definitely want to keep reading. I'm adding it to my tbr list now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm....the narrator seems a bit full of himself...would keep reading on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.