Tuesday, July 2, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book by a favorite author that I am hoping to start soon:

 After Her; Joyce Maynard
August 20 - 2013
William Morrow/Harper Collins 

Prologue

"A little over thirty years ago, on a June day just before sunset--alone on a mountain in Marin County, California--a man came toward me with a length of piano wire stretched between hus hands, and the intention of ending my days. I was fourteen years old, and many others had already died at his hands.  Ever since that I have known what it is to look into a man's eyes and believe his face is the last thing you will ever see.

I have my sister to thank that I am still here and to tell what happened that day.  Two times, it was my sister who saved me, though I was not able to do the same for my sister.

This is our story."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think? Would you keep reading?  Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below. 

20 comments:

  1. Very interesting opening...raises lots of questions about what happened and the family's story.

    Here's my First Paragraph post : http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-20-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow... this book seemed to be my type of books to read.

    My post for this week:
    http://asjennflipsthrough.blogspot.com/2013/07/teaser-bared-to-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Maynard, so I'd keep reading regardless. But that's a great opener and I have the book on my list to read.

    I'm playing today at Beth Fish Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds like a good thriller. I would keep reading! Here is my post:

    http://postingfornow.blogspot.com/2013/07/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like she's got a good sister... :) i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her sadness gets through. I would go on reading it. I love a good thriller.

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been so eager for this one...Joyce Maynard is a favorite author. Mine is coming from Amazon Vine...and I love the opener. Hope to be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, that one sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sad :'( I'd read it as long as it doesn't get too graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that sucked me in for sure. I would definitely keep reading.

    Alas, one more to add to my growing TBR pile!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce Maynard is another author I keep meaning to try. I'd definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The opening makes me want to keep goijjg - for sure. I'm with JoAnn - I keep meaning to read Joyce Maynard.

    My name is on the list above twice. Sorry. Not sure how that happened. Feel free to take the last one off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds good. I wonder why a lot of popular women authors are turning toward thriller or scary (to me) type books. Anna Quindlen, who I confuse with Joyce Maynard, had a murder in her last novel. I was not prepared for that in her book. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I would read this book. I like mystery novels and this one sound excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scary opening! I'd read more, although this is not my usual genre.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read one book by this author and really liked it. From this opening, I'd read this book as well!

    I will be posting my 1st Chapter post tomorrow. And I'll try to remember to add the link here then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never read this author's works. Suspense thrillers? This first paragraph certainly has caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would keep reading as I like this author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I snagged a copy of this at work last week and am anxious to get to it. I loved Maynard's The Usual Rules and Labor Day. I have high hopes for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this author too and that's a great opening!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.