Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls; David Sedaris


Title: Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls
Author: David Sedaris
Publication Year:  2013
Publisher: Hachette Audio - Little Brown Company
Edition: audio

Reader: David Sedaris (very good)
Source: library

Date Completed: June - 2013
Rating: 3.5/5



David Sedaris reads his own material, and he always does a wonderful job and many of his essays at times feel like a stand-up comedy act.
 
In his latest book: Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, there is actual one essay called Understanding, Understanding Owls, where Sedaris visits a taxidermy shop in London in search of the perfect Valentine's Day gift for his partner.  When he's taken in the "backroom", he gets an education about human mummies that will leave readers in stitches.  There are a few essays where Sedaris shares stories about his dysfunctional childhood, and while he makes the stories sound funny, I felt sadness for the author over the way he was treated by his father. 
 
Some of his stories are a bit crude or gross, like when he describes his trip to China.  I loved when he described his colonoscopy procedure -- been there done that.  I also enjoyed the fact that there was much to laugh about when he gives us his take on politic and political correctness.
 
There were also some essays which did not work for me or that I did not get the point of. Some seemed rather disjointed, but because there are over 20 essays in this collection, none of them are too long or unbearable. To me, it is Sedaris's sarcasm that makes his material work, but a little goes a long way.  I do recommend his books, and find audio books are the way to go for the most enjoyment.
 
Overall, this book was good, but given the fact that I've listened to most every book that Sedaris has written, my favorites remain: Naked, and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

16 comments:

  1. I enjoy his books and have listened to enough of them, I'm able to hear his voice in my head when I read them now. I liked this one, but it wasn't my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy -- Love his voice. IMO only David can read his material.

      Delete
  2. My favorite has always been Me Talk Pretty One Day. This new one is on my list, I do love some of his older books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started this one and the first few essays weren't grabbing me so I put it aside. I'll have to give it another go. I probably wasn't in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie -- a few didn't work for me either. Try - Naked or Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

      Delete
  4. I love his audiobooks, too - especially Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to try one of your favorites as I ended up setting aside the one I had been listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, Give Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim -- a favorite.

      Delete
  6. I've been trying to decide if I should get this e-book. Sounds like it would be a good book to read an essay at a time when in the mood for some comedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I like his audio books as his voice makes the story all the more memorable, but I am sure the eBook would be fine. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim was my favorite.

      Delete
  7. I love David Sedaris. So funny! Honestly, I'm not sure what material of his I've listened too. My husband would play his recordings in the car during our courting days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got this from the library today! Love hearing him read because it certainly makes the story even better. Naked is my favorite too. I should re-read that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't realize Sedaris had another new book. This one does sound good. Thanks for letting me know.

    I like your 4th of July banner. Hope you're having a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished up Naked and found it to be OK. I didn't read the essays in order and the one I read last was the longest and I found myself finally skimming because it was painfully boring and not funny. I just wish that the audio would have been unabridged so I could have listened instead of read. I also have the same reaction to his childhood stories--funny but mostly sad. I'm not convinced that Sedaris is for me. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might have to try the other ones that you really liked. For some reason i've never read anything by him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.