Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

 This week I'm featuring an intro from a book that will be published on August 26th. I hope to start it later this week.
(Picador)
HOPE

" The body of a woman aging.  It's a landscape that, even as it vanishes, asks a lot of the eyes. Or it should.  No two landscapes are the same, no matter their age, but then how time brings details to the body.

Of course every woman's body ages.  What's disorienting is how friendly it all starts out, with words like smooth and tight and firm, high and pink and wet--words that are given to women's bodies and that they wear around, as comfortably as cotton. And why not?  These are gifts they did little to earn.  Life does this so rarely--offer unearned or unasked-for rewards.  But inevitably the words fall away, one by one: There goes tight, there goes smooth, god, even wet.  And the words that replace them, that are provisioned, are not nearly so welcome or easy to carry.  Some women carry these new ways of addressing their bodies with pride.  They'll explain that the knots in their flesh tell a good story.  Others celebrate the change of vernacular, the end of a certain kind of surveillance.  Or they continue to pursue the first set of words --high, tight, smooth.  It's not wrong or it's not for me to say.  Who am I to say? I'm a young or youngish woman. I am in my late middle thirties, though I could be twenty-five or fifty.  I believe I have no age anymore.  I am not unattractive but neither am I beautiful.  I married a man I first met in college and then again later, a few years after graduation.  My husband died a difficult death.  I went with him, or a lot of me did.  I cannot apologize for this nor do I wish to challenge that I am changed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading?  Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

18 comments:

  1. Hmmm... not really sure what to make of this, but it is interesting, and I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa - beautiful writing and it made me stop and think. I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely keep reading. This seems well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued and I would continue reading this....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not too sure about this one either, but would likely read on a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting book. I would read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's piqued my curiosity, but I'll wait to hear what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I love that opening. I'm adding it to my wish list based on that alone! Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book choices are always good! Aside from the great cover, the opening paragraph is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely curious now...I wonder where this story will go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting opening...not sure which direction the narrator is going. I'd definitely read a few more pages to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can definitely relate to part of this. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very relatable! LOL I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the opening, I imagine this is a book that I would need to take my time reading and not rush through.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in today! Feels good after being absent for so long. And....I want to read your book!! Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds so good and I would definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This inner dialogue doesn't bode well for my enjoyment of the book. On the other hand, it is so beautifully written that maybe I would like it after all. Interested to see your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally intrigued ... would keep reading ... and wondering memoir or philosophy, novel or self-help? From the beginning words, it could any which way ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.