Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Illusion of Separateness; Simon van Booy

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?
 
This week I'm featuring an intro from a book that I just started.


(Harper Collins 2013)
Martin -- Los Angeles, 2010 

"THE MERE THOUGHT of him brought comfort. They believed he could do anything, and that he protected them.

He listened to their troubles without speaking.

He performed his duties when they were asleep, when he could think about his life the way a child stands in front of the sea.  Always rising at first light, he filled his bucket, then swished along the corridors with pine soap and hot water.  There were calluses where he gripped the handle.  The bucket was blue and difficult to carry when full.  The water got dirty quickly, but it didn't annoy him.  When it was done, he leaned his mop against the wall and went into the garden."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you read this one? What do you think? Would you keep reading?   (i just started this one, but the writing is beautiful).

Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

24 comments:

  1. Good choice, Diane. I find the introduction intriguing and would definitely continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd keep reading. 'He', whoever he is, sounds an interesting character and I'm wondering who 'they' are - obviously they have troubles and need protecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was intriguing enough to have me clicking on the link to find out more about the book so yes, keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a hint of mystery to it, and yes I would continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The intro sounds interesting. I would keep reading. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Van Booy -- **of course** I would keep reading! I haven't gotten to this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this one before, but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New to me also. I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read this one but I know a lot of book bloggers love this author's books. Hope you enjoy. It is on my list so I'll look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on the library hold list for this book... would definitely keep reading. So many bloggers love his writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't even heard of this one, but yes, it intrigues me. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this book on several blogs. I am not familiar with Simon Van Booy, but your intro makes me want to go check out the book. I will look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that one seems to be quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to know more so I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely want to know whats going to happen next and who this character is. Off to put this on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't really tell what the book is about, but I like the writing and imagery. It sounds like it could be a very serious book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good beginning. I already want to know: Who is this guy?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked the beginning and would like to know he thinks about as he mops. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful, positive beginning--I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never read anything by him but I think I'd have to read a bit further as this beginning didn't grab me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have put this book on hold at my local library, can't wait to red it. Also, I have downloaded The Affairs of Others from one of your previous posts. You always bring the best books to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  22. One of those great reads. Hi Diane, can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not sure... but if you recommend it I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just read it this week in one sitting. I will be purchasing a copy for my shelves. However, it isn't a book for everyone. It is not a linear book and it is written in vignettes or almost short stories which ultimately are connected but may leave some readers with unanswered questions.

    The writing is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.