Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday Salon - August 11th 2013

What a nice week we had -- weather-wise (except Friday quite a bit of rain). The weather in the morning has felt like early fall, which makes me very happy. By 5 p.m. its up to high 70's-80 . A welcome change in temps. 

Our refrigerator decided to have a meltdown, first the freezer with soft ice cream and a few days later the other side with curdled-milk.  We did order new appliances, but they won't arrive until next Saturday:(  Good excuse to eat out for the next 6 days though.  We were able to salvage most of the frozen foods, using my SIL's freezer who lives pretty much next door.

Last Sunday we went to a local zoo. It wasn't super huge, but it was nice, clean, reasonable and fun. I loved these cute birds:

Our granddaughter was over stimulated after about an hour and had a little meltdown, wanting to try our her 3-week old walking skills with a lot of people does not go well, and since "no mama" is now in her vocabulary, it made the day interesting:) 

About Books : I'm still listening to The Cuckoo's Calling; Galbraith (JK Rowling) and am enjoying it. I've been listening at work so it is going slower than normal as I was a bit busy last week. I finished reading/listening too The Last Camellia; Sarah Jio and enjoyed it (I hope to read more by this author) perfect summer read. I finished The Quarry; Iain Banks (no review yet and I thought it was just okay). I finally reviewed: Inferno; Dan Brown (read in July) pretty good and Too Bright to Hear Too Loud too See; Juliann Garey (also from July).  I also read/ reviewed a gardening book: Heavenly Hydrangeas and an adorable kids book: A Year With Marmalade.

Plans for the Week
What are your plans for today and the coming week? 
(Today we are taking a ride to a quaint little town about an hour from here for browsing and a nice late lunch.) Happy Sunday everyone.

18 comments:

  1. I'll be y'all had a good time at the zoo and those birds are sure pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weather sounds glorious! I bet your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been thinking it's time to get a new fridge/freezer - maybe we should before it breaks down too. Not got any exciting plans for today - gardening, maybe and then reading - I've plenty to get on with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to save the freezer contents... enjoy your week of dining out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Definitely a good excuse to eat out!!

    Have you read 'The garden of Evening Mists'?? I so loved it.

    Also, check out my post before this one as I would value your comments.

    I am also in the throes of a newly walking granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun going to the zoo with your granddaughter who has just learned to walk, even if her favorite word at the moment is "NO." Little girls are such a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good week except for having to deal with the fridge/freezer stuff. But it will be so nice to have new ones next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no home repair stuff is no fun. At least you do have new appliances coming soon! I wish we had your weather here... It's been nothing but exhausting heat. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness-glad you were able to salvage some of your food! We have a wonderful zoo here and when the kids were little we went a lot but since we always got a yearly membership, when they got tired, we got out of there. It really is a lot for little people to absorb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane, I hope the lovely weather continues. It has been cooler here, too.

    Enjoy your reading! I hope to finish my book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, fridge meltdowns are no fun. Enjoyed lunch with my youngest son and his girlfriend this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah meltdowns, I remember them well, lol. The grandchildren haven't arrived yet so I am having a little breathing space BUT visited with family today and great-niece had a mini-meltdown. She was two in May and I had a hard time not smiling though I think I hid it well. She was so darned cute and it was fun seeing the interaction between her and her mummy. Mummy was awesome and I was proud of her.

    Thanks for stopping by my post. You know, the movie The Birds was the first thing I thought of when I saw them. My mum and I saw it in the theater and we were both grabbing on to each other and closing our eyes and watching through our fingers. What a fun memory ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, too bad about the refrigerator/freezer! It's good you have someone close by where you can store stuff.

    I'm wanting to read Joyland....and I'm curious about The Cuckoo's Calling. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We've been having mild weather here too, and I'm not complaining about a lack of heat. I had enough of that last summer!

    I want to read both Joyland and Cuckoo's Calling. I haven't decided yet in print or audio... probably audio.

    Enjoy your week of dining out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to listen to Joyland. Haven't gotten to Casual Vacancy yet, so it'll be a while before I read Cuckoo's Calling. I'm reading Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand, which I just realized was LAST summer's new book by her, I think! Oh, well, so much for being current! We had a Sunday outing yesterday, too, something we don't usually have time for, because we're on vacation this week. Yay! So we'll be dining out a little more frequently than usual, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - you are another one of those prolific readers! I just haven't been able to read much and I've lost my earbuds so my listening/choring time has greatly diminished.
    I am not sure why but I want to boycott Cuckoo's Calling. Probably because I was late to the JKR fan club (I do like her books but think it crazy how much the world has to read her books NOW.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boo to your fridge meltdown!

    Sorry for the little one's meltdown. My son only had two in his toddler years but boy, were they doozies. One involved kicking dirt at me and the other involved him sweeping piles of clothes off of all the displays at Macy's!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, the overstimulation problem is a big one for Gage so I can relate :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.