Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My Sunshine Away; M.O. Walsh

My Sunshine Away; M.O. Walsh
Penguin Audio-2015
(Kirby Heyborne - narrator)



I finished this book almost a month ago and, I really loved it.  Although I had both the audio and the eGalley, I especially loved the audio as the Kirby Heyborne was an excellent narrator.

The story begins in 1989, Baton Rouge, LA, where a popular, fifteen year old girl named Lindy Simpson is raped as she is returning home on her bike one evening.  Attacked from behind, she's unable to identify an attacker, however there are four possible suspects.

Told from the POV of one of the suspects, we get a well drawn look into the background of each suspect.  To make the story all the more interesting, the narrator also has an unhealthy crush on Lindy, almost to the point of an obsession. He seems to monitor her every move, often from the privacy of his bedroom since they are neighbors.  I don't want to say much more because I don't want to spoil the story -- just read it.

It's hard to believe that this is a debut novel. The writing is so good and very atmospheric and the characters finely tuned. The story hooked me from the very beginning. Readers who love coming of age stories, especially ones told through memory and reflection will enjoy this one.  Highly recommended.

5/5 stars
(audio and eGalley)

18 comments:

  1. I've had this on my list for so long but rape is such a tough subject to read about. I see your 5 start review though and it makes me want to pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough subject but honestly, the incident happens quick and isn't graphic. The story is more about the suspects.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I loved this book, too. His voice and innocence just warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you make this sound so good. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds very good. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Ti, but you've got me rethinking this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned to Ti, It is a tough subject but honestly, the incident happens quick and isn't graphic. The story is more about the suspects.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you loved this. So did I!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good, but with such an emotional subject I'm not sure about reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please try it, the incident happens quick and isn't graphic. The story is more about the suspects.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.