Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Fireman; Joe Hill

The Fireman; Joe Hill
William Morrow - 2016

Set in the not too distant future, The Fireman, is a 700+ novel that has already been optioned for a movie.

The premise of the story involves a new plague -- origin unknown -- which has been striking US cities beginning in the Northeast. Referred to as "dragon scale" it's a highly contagious and deadly spore that attacks the body and leaves black and gold tattoo like marks on the skin. No cure has been found and its victims eventually combust.

Harper Grayson is a nurse who has treated slews of victims before the place where she had worked burned to the ground.  Now she too has been infected and is pregnant, however, she seems convinced her baby will be born healthy.  Harper's husband has also developed the dragon scale and has become completely irrational and unhinged.

As the plague and mass hysteria spreads causing victims and cities to burn, quarantine and cremation crews do what they can to contain the plague even if it means burning the victims alive before they self-combust.  And, just who is "the Fireman" who tries to save Harper after her husband goes off the deep end?

Joe Hill has created an at times heart pumping story with well developed characters that had me quickly turning the pages. The set up was great, mostly fast paced but, there were a few twists that I did see coming. In addition to the eBook, I borrowed the audio version from the library so this one was never too far from my side.  The audio is read by Kate Mulgrew who did a great job.

4/5 stars
(eGalley and library audio)

16 comments:

  1. Hm, I can tell that you liked this one but I'm not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like this one (especially the audio) but, it isn't the type of story I'd want to read every week.

      Delete
  2. I have been seeing this around and plan to read it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Sounds like a disturbing read. Did you ever read Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins? I will be posting my review of it soon. Another post-apocalyptic novel, about the water crisis in the Southwest, where I live. I have yet to read Joe Hill but you made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Judy, I've never even heard of Gold Flame Citrus, now I am curious.

      Delete
  4. Diane, this sounds like a hot book (sorry, couldn't resist)! I'm glad you enjoyed it. This type of story would be very good as an audio book. Have a terrific weekend! I have finally posted on my blog (photos).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been debating about reading this one - I was afraid it was more horror than thriller but it sounds like you really enjoyed it. I think I may bite the bullet and download this one this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure why my profile didn't show up but the unknown comment is from me ;)

      Delete
  6. I just started this. It's going to take me awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started this. It's going to take me awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first I have heard of this book and from your review it sounds like my cup of tea, or bonfire.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.