Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Wreck and Order; Hannah Tennant-Moore

Wreck and Order; Hannah Tennant-Moore
(Hogarth) Brilliance Audio - 2016
Nicol Zanzarella (narrator)

In this coming of age story, Elise is a young woman who is trying to find herself. In lieu of pursuing a college degree she decides to travel abroad with the $40,000 her father has given her. When that money is gone she uses trust fund money and gets an occasional menial job here and there.

Elise is a train wreck: impulsive, self destructive. She goes from one relationship to another while she tries to find herself and her life purpose.  She comes across as rather lost and pathetic and, as someone trying to avoid responsibility and commitment.

I love coming of age stories and had high hopes for this one but, in the end I had a lot of issues with the story. The audio book narrator, Nicol Zanzarella, was pretty good and, although this really wasn't my cup of tea, like a sinking ship, I had a hard time bailing on this one. The author does a terrific job getting into the psyche of Elise. I liked reading about her travels to Sri Lanka which helped me learn a bit about the culture.

If you are looking for a book with a character you can connect with, this probably isn't the book for you. However, it is very different story and the writing is good and even funny at times.

3/5 stars
(library audio)

9 comments:

  1. What's sad is, I think there are a lot of people like Elise out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too Kathy and to me I think many of the 20 & 30-something generation has been pampered so much that they are going to be even more disillusioned with life. JMO

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad you didn't like this more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a sad thing when we think we will love a book and then don't. I totally agree with you and Kathy about the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is disappointing when our high expectations for a book are not met. I hope every book I read will merit 4 or 5 stars from me but once in a while one sneaks in that doesn't resonate; it is bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will probably pass on this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will also probably pass on this one, despite my interest in reading about her travels in Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like she never really comes of age. Maybe she will be a late-bloomer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.