Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Woman in Cabin 10; Ruth Ware

Scout Press- Simon & Schuster
July 2016

Lo Blacklock is a journalist for Velocity, a travel magazine.  She's been given the work opportunity of a lifetime, a week on the Aurora, a luxury cruise ship.  Lo thinks that this assignment may be just what she needs to calm her nerves, as a few days earlier her London flat was broken into while she was at home.  Although she never got a good look at the masked crook and she wasn't physically harmed, emotionally she's a wreck and has been unable to sleep.

She boards the ship, destination Norway, but smooth sailing and calm nerves are not to be. Lo's first evening aboard she sleep deprived and spends a few hours dining with the small intimate group and drinking a bit too much.  Then she returns to her cabin she thinks she has witnessed the woman in the cabin next to hers (Cabin 10) being tossed overboard. She's pretty sure it was the woman whom she had borrowed mascara from earlier in the evening.

When Lo reports what she's seen to the crew member in charge, no one believes her. She is told that all the passengers are accounted for, and that cabin 10 is unoccupied. Determined to prove she's not going mad, Lo begins asking questions, perhaps too many questions for her own good.

The Woman in Cabin 10 is one of those mysteries that hooked me early on and kept me eagerly turning the pages.  The story is not perfect but, the characters are interesting and diverse and the setting awesome for the way this story played out. The sometimes paranoid protagonist, who at times had more guts than brains helped to make this a fun summer read.

4/5 stars
(review copy)

28 comments:

  1. I saw this book on Netgalley. Thank you for the review - hope I am not too late to request this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review has me very tempted to give this one a try. Thanks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea and a scary thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They are comparing it to Agatha C but, I'm not sure I would:) I did like reading it though.

      Delete
  5. I really want to read this because I loved InA Dark, Dark, Wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I just requested A Dark, Dark Wood from the library. Glad u liked it.

      Delete
  6. I'm really anticipating this one, and the pre-release reviews, along with bloggers who've read it, have really been kicking this one up on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've liked what you read about this one so far Kathy.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, this sounds intriguing! I hadn't heard about it yet. Glad you enjoyed it.

    Have a good week & enjoy all your books!

    Sue

    2016 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the review copies that I could not get on my Kindle but I got it working after many adds and deletes. I do believe there is a glitch with my Kindle. But I am having no trouble adding new review copies, so who the heck knows. I plan to get to this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh too bad it was really a fun read. I hope you figure that out.

      Delete
  9. I read A Dark, Dark Wood when it first hit the shelves and thought it was pretty good, so I was happy when I got an ARC of this new release. It sounds entertaining (and a little bit like Murder on the Orient Express) and I think I'll save it for my flight to Oregon later next month. It's always nice to have a good thriller/mystery to read while flying. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I just picked that one up from the library. Hope to try it soon.

      Delete
  10. This sounds like 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie or The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White, except on a boat. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like 4:50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie or The Lady Vanishes by Ethel Lina White, except on a boat. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.