Thursday, June 9, 2016

The Weekenders; Mary Kay Andrews

The Weekenders; Mary Kay Andrews
McMillan Audio - 2016 
( St. Martin's Press)
Kathleen McInnerney - Narrator (decent)

Coastal Belle Isle, NC is the ideal setting for this beach read. As the story begins, it's Memorial Day weekend and Riley Griggs and her obnoxious preteen daughter Maggy, are waiting for Mr. Griggs (Wendell) to arrive by ferry to open up their summer beach home but, he never arrives.  Instead Riley is served with papers. She's thinking it's divorce papers she has been served with but, she later realizes that their beach house is being foreclosed.  How can this be?  She and her family have been islanders here for years and years. 

Little did Riley know but her husband was involved in some shady business dealings and there'a a reason he was a no-show, he's dead! Riley is left to pick up the pieces and figure out what Wendell was up to. In addition she must deal with the humiliation of all that has happened and raise her difficult daughter alone.

This novel has a little bit of everything to keep the story interesting enough -  romance, mystery, quirky and annoying characters and even an angst filled preteen girl. The audio was decent but, overall, I didn't find the story all that believable.  

My husband couldn't handle listening to this one on our road trip so I had to listen to this one solo.

3.5/5 stars
(library audio) 

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like there's a lot going on so I can see how it would be hard to suspend disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I shouldn't expect as much with fluffy reads but, overall I had hoped I would enjoy it more than I did.

      Delete
  2. I feel like these types of book are too formulaic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her books are pure fun summer escapes for me so I'm ok with the unbelievable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is not a book for me these days. But thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have known better as I usually do not read this type of story but, that cover was so darn fun looking:)

      Delete
  5. I can see why your husband didn't go for this. It sounds like a good summer read if I'm in the mood for something light but not slapstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually kind of mean of me to even think he wouldn't mind listening LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.