Tuesday, December 11, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (maybe two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along. For today's First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro, I'm featuring an intro of a book I picked up from the library yesterday. It's new for 2012 from Penguin.


Julia Romp
(from Prologue)

" When it came to first impressions, Ben didn't exactly shine.  He wasn't a small, pretty kitten with a blaze of ginger hair or even a sleek adult cat with a shining tortoiseshell coat.  In fact, his black and white fur was covered in dried blood, his red rump was completely bare and his thin tail looked more like a hairy twig.  Thankfully, I couldn't tell by looking at him that he was also home to scores of fleas and ear mites.

But as off-putting as he looked, when the sickly stray started visiting my garden I left out food, because I've always had a soft spot when it came to animals.  Even my pet rabbit Fluffy lives in a shed that I painted with bright flowers --it's like the Ritz for rabbits--so I made up a bed for the cat in a carrier, which I left in the shed, hoping it would sleep there.  The stray was looking worse each day and, I thought, once it felt at home in the carrier, I'd shut the door and take it to the vet.

Would you keep reading this memoir?

Please feel free to grab the logo and join in by posting the first paragraph (or 2) of a book you are reading now or hoping to read soon.

19 comments:

  1. I would definitely keep reading. I love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I already have a soft spot for this kitty...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd keep reading. I want the kitty to have a happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I would indeed keep reading that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always drawn to a book with a cute animal on the cover!

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bet I'd keep reading. I want to know what happens to the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Now I want to read it. Is it a new book? I'll find it online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd keep reading. The cover's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure. I have a thing about animal books because of their inevitable endings. I might give this one a try though, because even reading this paragraph intrigued me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have to keep reading. Came back for Christmas, it's got to have a happy sappy ending, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cover and love the excerpt! I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, and I just know it is going to make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a cat fan (*ducks*), but I love Christmas stories, so I would have to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Completely adorable!! I would keep reading. I wish my husband would let me get a kitten!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.