Friday, December 28, 2012

Twenty Questions: A Year-End Book Survey for 2012


I think did a similar post last year, if not, I guess I meant to:)   JoAnn@Lakeside Musing inspired me to follow through for 2012.  Here goes:

1. What is the best book you read in 2012?
 
2. Most disappointing book?


3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2012?  

4. Book(s) you recommended most in 2012?

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (still have book #3 to read though)

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
 
 7. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
 
8. Book you most anticipated in 2012?  

9. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?


 











10. Most memorable character in 2012?

11. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

12. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

13. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
 
14. Favorite passages/quotes from a book read in 2012?

[ Lots of Candles Plenty of Cake; Anna Quindlen's memoir]
  • "When I was young I was loath to admit that I liked being alone, but not anymore.  By the time you've lived for fifty or sixty years, you are better armored to embrace the things about yourself that are true, even if the you think the world sees them as odd, eccentric....."
  • "What a time we've live through so revolutionary that the list could go on and on: the Pill, the heart transplant, the moon landings, cell phones, cable television, computer communication,.....and  as Quindlen's father said..."I'm glad I lived long enough to see the Phillies win a World Series and a black man elected President."
  • "I am a liberal because......as I said often, much to the consternation of friends of other faiths who have come to see Catholicism as narrow, conservative, and antediluvian, I am a liberal because I was raised Catholic.  In a typically thoughtful and searching speech he gave at Notre Dame, former New York Governor Mario Cuomo, the most intellectual of non-clerical Catholics referred to practicing the work of Christ in our life, 'I practice it especially where the love is most needed, among the poor and weak and the dispossessed.' That's the lesson I took away from the New Testament, the requirement that if you had two cloaks you should give one to the person who had none that you love your neighbor as yourself. It's a lesson that never left me."
15. Book read in 2012 that you would be most likely to reread in 2013?
  • none - I generally don't reread  books

16. Best classic(s) read in 2012?  

  17. Best translated work you read in 2012?

18. Any titles abandoned in 2012 you might read in 2013?  
  • Mad River; John Sandford (started the audio at work and then got busy and distracted)

19. Any challenges completed in 2012?  
  • 100+ Books Challenge  (138)
  • eBook Challenge (51)
  • Audio Book Challenge (40)
  • Back to Classics Challenge (4)
  • Picture Book Challenge (38)
  • Stephen King Challenge (4)
  • RIP VII (6)
 20. Any read-alongs completed in 2012?
  •  The Stand-a-Long; Stephen King
Survey adapted from The Perpetual Page-Turner

Feel free to play along.

21 comments:

  1. That's a fascinating list. Happy New Year Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made me want to add a couple to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad East of Eden deserves so many mentions here. It's on my TBR shelf for years and I must read it in 2013... since a new movie adaptation has been brewing for some time now. Have a wonderful year of reading in 2013, Diane. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might revisit East of Eden after your glowing praise. I did not finish the Anna Quindlen book. I just couldn't relate. I think it was because she started out talking about collecting things and filling up her house with mementos and I really couldn't relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these end-of-the-year surveys!

    Let's see. I've had East of Eden on my shelf for several years now. I think I'll add it to my stack for January.

    I gave my mom the Quindlen book and keep meaning to her if I can borrow it, although it may be one I want to own so I can highlight my favorite passages. Could wind up with a completely highlighted book, though! I love her writing!

    I've only read one of your most recommended books (Defending Jacob), but I plan to read the other four. I also want to try Ivan Doig. I have a few of his books, but have never read him!

    Here's to another great year of reading, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I guess I better get East of Eden although I probably read it umpteen years ago. :-) I love your list! Happy reading in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That list was a whole lot of fun, thanks for sharing it with us! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the year end lists - it's good to be reminded of great books and to see what books really need to be moved to the top of the tbr list. I had "Harold Fry" in my hands for my mom for Christmas because everyone raves about it but just was not sure she would like it. Wish I would have gone with my gut! And I MUST get the Anna Quindlen book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing these year end lists … and I need to get cracking on my own but first I must finish all my 2012 reviews. I'm determined to start 2013 with a clean slate! Better get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not organized enough to attempt this! I'm planning on seeing East of Eden soon as I am on a James Dean "kick" presently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice end of the year summary. And some good recommendations in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you decided to play along! East of Eden is one of my all-time favorite novels and I'm happy you loved it, too. Wallace Stegner is also a favorite... must read The Spectator Bird. I hope to read both Ivan Doig and Richard Ford next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a fun list to read, Diane :-) The meme makes it easy to see what you liked and didn't like about your year in reading. It's fun that you can recommend a classic to everyone, too!

    Happy 2013, and I hope you have lots of reading in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Composing these answers took a lot of thought and reflection! All these end-of-the-year posts are making me think I should start keeping better records/notes in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the format of this list! I don't re-read either - too many excellent new books to get to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. East of Eden is so intense! I love A Movable Feast too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those quotes from the Quindlen book. It's one I want to read. I'd also like to give East of Eden a read someday.
    You were a rock star with your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shouldn't be allowed to answer these surveys. I end up writing a novel! I enjoyed reading your answers, Diane. It sounds like you had a great reading year this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must read the Tyler in 2013, I must!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love East of Eden, my favorite by Steinbeck.
    here is my wrap-up, with pies and charts:
    http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/01/03/year-of-reading-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a fun meme!! I see a few books that I must read now. East of Eden was in my hands a few weeks back...must go ahead and buy it!! I think I will gift it to my oldest so we can read it together!!! Great post and one that I'm pinning!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.