Tuesday, July 23, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Mouse-Proof Kitchen; Saira Shah


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

This week I'm featuring an intro from a book that was recently released: 


Emily Bestler Books /Atria/Simon & Schuster

December
"Pains come and go.  I am riding on waves of them. They are nothing like the orgasmic surges described by my New Age birthing teacher, but not nearly as bad as as my mother's tales of pelvises split in two and of women losing their minds from the agony.

I suck on gas and air and long for the sight of Tobia's face, full of roguish charm,  as if he's inviting the world to share a secret joke with him.  When my mother first met him, she told him he looked like a friendly horse.  It's a comparison he loathes, but I cherish it. 

And, finally here he is, his dark curls even more rumpled than usual, typically late for the birth of his first child.  His haggard look is, I'm sure, simply due to an ill-timed night out on the town.  Tobias is not one of nature's worriers."

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading?  Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below. 
 
 .


21 comments:

  1. Tobias certainly sounds like an interesting character...I would read on to find out more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd keep reading - always sucked in by a birth story! Although, have to say that I have a phobia about mice and mice in the house makes me feel sick to my stomach, so the title makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a book a year or two ago called: MICE and there were not any "mice" in the story...LOL
      Can't figure out how some titles are chosen.

      Delete
  3. I'm curious enough to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe ... I'm not sure. I don't suppose the book is really about mice - is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously doubting that there are any mice in this story...LOL

      Delete
  5. Um, I might read another paragraph or two, but this isn't instantly grabbing me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first time joining you guys in this meme - looks like fun.

    This book sounds like it could be interesting. I'm not sure, but I'd give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this might be a good story. I am curious enough from the intro, to keep reading. Thanks Diane for hosting First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, not sure... think I'd need to read a few more pages. I'm a little curious, but not really drawn in yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite interesting. I'd continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From the title of this one, I wasn't sure it was for me...but the intro drew me in. Definitely want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may not have picked it up in the bookstore just reading the title, but your intro had me hooked. I'll be looking for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent beginning (for the child, too, I hope)! I'd read more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm already angry at Tobia so I'm not sure. Hmmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one would take more than one paragraph for me too although I am a little curious about Tobias.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Possibly--Tobias sounds promising...flaws along with that roguish charm.

    I love the title though--the story is going have to be awfully good to live up to that title!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not to sure about that one...but mice are good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been eyeing the cover of this at the library, and I do like the opening paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That brings back memories! :-) I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.