Sunday, November 8, 2009

174 - The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane; Katherine Howe

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by Katherine Howe is an amazing debut novel. Do you enjoy a little, history, a little mystery, stories about the Salem witch hysteria? If so, this just might be a good book for you to try.

In 1991, Connie Goodwin is a Harvard Grad Student in American Colonial Studies, trying to decide on a topic for her dissertation, when a frantic telephone call from her "hippie-mom" changes her academic routine.  Grace begs her daughter to spend her summer in Marblehead, MA cleaning out her grandmother's old, run down home, so that she can sell the property. So off Connie goes, along with her dog Arlo to this old abandoned house,  hidden from view. There is no electricity, no running water, and no telephone.  While Connie is cleaning, she finds an old key, along with a name on a tiny piece of parchment scroll, inside of an old family bible: Deliverance Dane.  Connie is on a mission to find out more.

A good amount of this story revolves around Connie's academic research in 1991 when records were not computerized. Through her research she learns that Physick was a word used in the 17th century for herbal remedy, or what might be better referred to as spells used by witches. Connie also learns that Deliverance Dane, from Salem, Massachusetts, practiced this herbal healing craft.  Connie's research for her dissertation, and hunt for the missing Physick (spell) book, keep the reader anxiously turning the pages, especially as Connie begins to wonder whether is could be somehow tied to the witches of Salem.  The story travels back in time to the late 1600's and the year 1991.

My Thoughts: Part historical fiction, part mystery, witchcraft, a dash of humor, and a little romance thrown in as well, make this a winning combination.  The significant research involved in writing this novel is evident throughout. I loved the description of life in the late 1600's. Even though I have read several books on the Salem witches, trial etc., I never tire of reading a story from yet another angle.  The ending might leave you with some unanswered questions, but despite this, the book was certainly a worthy read. It was also interesting to learn that the author is a descendant of two women who endured the Salem witch panic of 1692. This book is Recommended.

 
(Review Copy received through Shelf Awareness on behalf of the Publisher: Hyperion/Voice)

14 comments:

  1. This book has garnered such mixed reviews! But the whole witch hysteria thing is very interesting, and it seems like because the author is a descendant she might have put more passion into writing this than some other author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to find the time to read this book. I've been hearing so many good things about it! And I'm interested in all things witch-like lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds right up my alley-historical fiction, humor, and mystery :) It's been on my to-read list for awhile now. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't a fan of this one. I thought Connie came across as a stupid little girl rather than a graduate. It was a good story, but there was so much that annoyed me!

    It would need an amber smiley face on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get confused with this one, as it has a different name over here in England. I can't remember what it is called over here now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a nice mix of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved how you described it. I don't read straight mystery often but mystery thrown in with the other stuff?? I seem to enjoy the genre more when it's piggy-backed with others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I am really glad that you liked this one. I did too. I was a bit more interested in the historical sections than the sections set in the present day, but overall I thought this was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really loved the detail about 1660s life, too. It was the modern-day parts that left me a little cold. But all in all, a good book and a great review!

    -Connie @ Constance Reader

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to add this to my TBR pile. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had this from the library then didn't have time to get to it. Sounds like it has the right mix to make it worth going back for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet another one I added to the list a while back and STILL haven't read, but want to! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.