Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday - Secrets of Eden; Chris Bohjalian


Waiting on Wednesday...books I can't wait to read hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.




Title: Secrets of Eden
Author: Chris Bohjalian
Pub. Date:  February 2, 2010

about the book - From author's website

Chris Bohjalian's latest novel is rich with his elegant, page-turning prose and builds to the sort of ending that left millions of readers of The Double Bind and Midwives speechless and stunned - and hungry for another of his books.

"There," says Alice Hayward to Reverend Stephen Drew, just after her baptism, and just before going home to the husband who will kill her that evening and then shoot himself. Drew, tortured by the cryptic finality of that short utterance, feels his faith in God slipping away and is saved from despair only by a meeting with Heather Laurent, the author of wildly successful, inspirational books about . . . angels.
Heather survived a childhood that culminated in her parents' murder-suicide, so she identifies deeply with Alice and George's daughter, Katie, offering herself as a mentor to the girl and a shoulder for Stephen - who flees the pulpit to be with Heather and see if there is anything to be salvaged from the spiritual wreckage around him.

But then the State's Attorney begins to suspect that Alice's husband may not have killed himself. . .and finds out that Alice had secrets only her minister knew.
 
(Chris Bohjalian is a favorite author. I've read and enjoyed all of his books).  What is your WOW pick for this week?

21 comments:

  1. Interesting. I've never heard of him before, which tells you how up to date I am with modern authors. I'll keep an eye out for his books though after that glowing reccomendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed so many of Bohjalian's books - several on audio. This one sounds like another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone seems to love Bohjalian's work, so I really need to try one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HMM this looks neat, never heard of the author, but this one looks like a great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good...although I have one of his books on my shelf at home, I still haven't read any of his work yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this author, either, but I have seen this book in a few WoW posts recently. It sounds like a really intense read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good pick. Never read any books of this author, but it sounds wonderful. A good pick.

    Here's mine:
    http://jadorehappyendings.blogspot.com/2009/11/wow-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent pick this week! I'm a fan of Bohjalian.

    Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a few of his books and enjoyed them so I'll be looking for this book. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to this one as well! I love Bohjalian's books!

    Here's my pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not familiar with this author. His work sounds riveting. Thanks for your review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a MUST read for me!! I've enjoyed pretty much everything he's written!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this author! The new book sounds really interesting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of him, but the book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good! Thanks for posting this, it's going straight to the wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, that does sound good; I'll have to keep an eye out for it when it's published. I have read several of Bohjalian's books and enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooohhh..good choice. Now I'm going to be waiting for this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read most of Bohjalian's books. I loved Midwives and have waiting for another one to reach its level of greatness. I didn't realize he had a new one coming out. (Shame on me). I'm going to put my name on the holds list at the library. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.