Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday - Shadow Tag; Louise Erdrich

 
Waiting On Wednesday is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine.

Title: Shadow Tag
Author: Louise Erdrich
Pub. Date: February 2, 2010

(Amazon Description).......Here is the most telling fact: you wish to possess me. Here is another fact: I loved you and let you think you could. When Irene America discovers that her husband, Gil, has been reading her diary, she begins a secret Blue Notebook, as much the truth about her life and her marriage as the Red Diary - hidden where he can find it - is a manipulative farce. Alternating between these two records, complemented by unflinching third-person narration, "Shadow Tag" is an eerily gripping read. When the novel opens, Irene is resuming work on her doctoral thesis about George Catlin, the nineteenth century painter whose Native American subjects often regarded his portraits with suspicious wonder. Gil, who gained notoriety as an artist through his emotionally revealing portraits of his wife - work that is adoring, sensual, and humiliating, even shocking - realizes that his fear of losing Irene may force him to create the defining work of his career. Meanwhile, Irene and Gil fight to keep up appearances for their three children: fourteen-year-old genius Florian, who escapes his family's unraveling with joints and a stolen bottle of wine; Riel, their only daughter, an eleven-year-old feverishly planning to preserve her family, no matter what disaster strikes; and, sweet kindergartener Stoney, who was born, his parents come to realize, at the beginning of the end. As her home increasingly becomes a place of violence and secrets, and she drifts into alcoholism, Irene moves to end her marriage. But her attachment to Gil is filled with shadowy need and delicious ironies. In brilliantly controlled prose, "Shadow Tag" fearlessly explores the complex nature of love, the fluid boundaries of identity, and one family's struggle for survival and redemption.

What's your pick this week?

18 comments:

  1. Oooooh, good pick. This sounds great and the cover is cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your Waiting on Wednesday posts. Invariably, I see the book you've chosen and think, "Oh! I'd like to read that one too!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good! I havent heard of it before

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cover is beautiful! I am ashamed to admit I have not yet read a book by Louise Erdrich but I am determined to in the new year. Have you? And if so, is there any in particular you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds a bit scary. Mind games are always more frightening than physical peril.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this one sounds good! A new Louise Erdrich, hooray :) Adding this one to my wishlist.

    Here’s mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, some of my favorite Erdrich books have been: Plague of Doves, Master Butcher's Singing Club, and Painted Drum. I still have several of hers I have not read, but she is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a must-read to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds very very good.
    The cover is okay.

    Here's mine:
    http://jadorehappyendings.blogspot.com/2009/11/wow-7.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a terrific read! I've added it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this sounds like such a great book! I am adding it to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds great. Erdrich is one of those authors I can't believe I've never read. Perhaps I'll start with this one when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm intrigued, especially by the first two sentences. That's all I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My book club was talking about Erdrich the other night. We have never picked one of her books before yet several members think very highly of her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pick. This is a must have for me. Thanks for the heads up and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.