Saturday, April 23, 2016

Family Man; Elinor Lipman

Family Man; Elinor Lipman
Sound Library - 2009

Henry Archer is likable, old-school type guy. He retired early from his Manhattan law practice so he can enjoy life, as he expects to die young like his father before him.  Henry's also gay, but was married briefly to Denise, who had a daughter, Thalia, that Henry had adopted.  Henry reluctantly gave up custody rights when the couple divorced and Denise remarried.

Now when Henry learns that Denise's most recent husband (#3) has died, he is anxious to reconnect with Thalia who is now 29 and an aspiring actress.  The two begin having lunch together and as their relationship grows there are unexpected perks,  joy and love to be experienced by both. 

This is another dialogue driven novel (not my favorite style) but, it's rather enjoyable for several reasons.  It's a comedy of manners -- lots of wit with quirky characters who are easy to root for. Henry is so real and unassuming.  If you are looking for an upbeat story that will leave you smiling, try this one. The audio was read by Jonathan Davis who did a great job.  Although this wasn't my favorite book by Elinor Lipman, I'm still happy I gave this one a try.

3.5/5 stars
(library audio)

8 comments:

  1. I do enjoy well written dialogue so might like this more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my younger days I was put off by comedies of manners but now I tend to like them. What does that mean? You make the book sound appealing. I have heard of Elinor Lipman but never read her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds unique and interesting. I will keep it in mind.

    Have a relaxing weekend, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one may be something I woukd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy Elinor Lipman. Will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very good story--I like the premise. I don't know the author, but willing to try new people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very good story--I like the premise. I don't know the author, but willing to try new people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.