Friday, April 1, 2016

The Little Tree That Would Not Share; Nicoletta Costa


Holiday House - 2016


A little tree learns the importance of being kind and sharing in this sweet tale.

A little tree lived among the tall houses.  Once he began to grow and his leaves blossomed, he refused to share his shade with the birds, butterflies and other animals. He was afraid the others would make his leaves fall off.  When the birds approached he sent them away. The cats thought he was rude and that he was better than everyone.

When fall arrived and the temperatures dropped, the birds took flight to warmer places and "little tree" was alone when he began to lose his leaves one by one.  Little Tree thought he was sick until a patient crow explained the cycle of the seasons to him, promising that he would grow new leaves in the spring.  Spring arrived, the crow was right, and "little tree" grew new leaves and he was no longer afraid to share his leaves and his shade with cats and birds and butterflies.

My grandchildren really enjoyed the story and especially the lovely,  colorful and whimsical illustrations. First published in Italy in 2004, this is the first US printing.

5/5 stars
(library book)

13 comments:

  1. This looks super cute, and will encourage children to share and be kind. Lovely review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute book! I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it adorable? That's what made me put it in my library bag:)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Terra - the colorful and whimsical drawings add so much to this story.

      Delete
  4. I am happy to find that you review children's books! My grandkids are reading on their own now but I read many many books to them when they were small and even more to my own kids. This one sounds like it teaches good lessons without being preachy. I really do not like preachy picture books (or adult books that preach either!) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike preachy books as well and try to avoid them like the plague LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.