Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph - Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes two) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.  This week's selection is a book that is scheduled to release on February 7th from Dutton Publishing.  Lisa Gardner is a favorite suspense/thriller author of mine.

(eGalley provided through NetGalley
quoted text may differ in final copy)

"My name is Charlene Rosalind Carter Grant.

I live in Boston, work in Boston, and in four days, will probably die here.  I'm twenty-eight years old.  And I don't feel like dying just yet.

It started two years ago, with the murder of my best friend, Randi Menke, in Providence.  She was strangled in her living room.  No sign of struggle, no sign of forced entry.  For a while the Rhode Island cops thought maybe her ex had done it.  I guess there'd be a history of domestic assaults.  Nothing she ever told me, or our other best friend, Jackie, about.  Jackie and I tried to console ourselves with that, as we wept together at Randi's funeral.  We hadn't known.  We just hadn't known or of course we would've done ...something. Anything.

That's what we told ourselves." 

Woukl you continue reading?  (The  paragraphs that follow these are even better!)

19 comments:

  1. Your Tuesday Intros are always absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love thrillers set in New England and although I just started it, I can tell I'll be in for the long-haul. It's addictive.

      Delete
  2. I definitely would read on. Love mysteries and Gardner is known to be a good author. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my typical genre, but based on this first paragraph, I would continue reading. I hope that you do, because I am eager to hear your thoughts about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooked! Totally! Going on the wish list asap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good. Look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would keep reading. That opening paragraph really pulls you in. Have a nice day. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd keep reading. It's such a great start. I've read a few of Lisa Gardner's books and I think she writes a great romantic suspense.

    My first paragraph is here: Joyfully Retired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for introducing another author that I haven't come across before. Sounds like it would be a riveting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is mine: http://abigailannreading.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this author and this is quit the hook. Can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little late today. I am supposed to reduce my computer time due to my neck. I would definitely keep reading.

    Mine Is Here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another year, another Lisa Gardner book. I'll probably end up reading this … even though I think I'm done with her books at this point. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent opening! I'd read this, to find out what happens (and I do hope you will not keep us in suspense for too long, Diane!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would keep reading most definitely!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow. I've never read anything by Gardner, but this sounds like an amazing thriller. Adding it to my TBR list. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.