Tuesday, May 8, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


Every Tuesday, I'll be posting the opening paragraph (sometimes maybe a few) of a book I decided to read based on the opening paragraph (s). Feel free to grab the banner and play along.  This week's selection releases today. It's an author I've so enjoyed in the past: 


" They rose up like men. We saw them. Like men they stood.

We shouldn't have been anywhere near that place.  Like most farmland outside Lotus, Georgia, this here one had plenty of scary warning signs.  The threats hung from wire mesh fences with wooden stakes every fifty or so feet.  But when we saw a crawl space that some animal had dug--a coyote maybe, or a coon dog--we couldn't resist.  Just kids we were.  The grass was shoulder high for her and waist high for me so, looking out for snakes, we crawled through it on our bellies.  The reward was worth the harm grass juice and clouds of gnats did to our eyes, because there right in front of us, about fifty yards off, they stood like men.  Their raised hooves crashing and striking, their manes tossing back from wild white eyes.  They bit each other like dogs but when the stood, reared up on their hind legs, their forelegs around the withers of the other, we held our breath in wonder.  One was rust-colored, the other deep black, both sunny with sweat.  The neighs were not as frightening as the silence following a kick of hind legs into the lifted lips of the opponent.  Nearby, colts and mares, indifferent, nibbled grass or looked away.  Then it stopped.  The rust-colored one dropped his head and pawed the ground while the winner loped off in an arc, nudging the mares before him."

 Would you keep reading?
 

19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful opener! I could feel what they're feeling.....

    I've been wanting to read this one. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to read a bit more to decide.

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I've only read one Morrison novel and have several more on my list... would definitely keep going with this one.

    Here's mine:
    http://lakesidemusing.blogspot.com/2012/05/tuesday-intro-bring-up-bodies-by-hilary.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The writing is very compelling. I'd keep going. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toni Morrison's books are always spectacular. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure about this one. It is kind of a slow start for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes! Nt only because I know of the author's prowess, but because that first paragraph indicates great things to come! I hope you keep reading and let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love Morrison's work in theory. She has a beautiful way with words, but often her stories don't resonate with me as deeply as I wish they would.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this author and this intro. I would keep on!!

    Here's mine:
    http://lifeinthethumb.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would keep reading this book. I have read a few of Toni Morrison's books but want to read more of them and Home is at the top of my list!

    My First Chapter is posted:
    Amy's FCFPTI

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good. I'd keep reading, too. :D

    Mine is at http://simplengkaligayahan.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That does grab you from the beginning.

    This week I am reading The Dark Horse by Craig Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't care for the writing style much and I never finished the paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really excited that Morrison is getting so much love for her new book! I haven't read anything by her in a few years but I look forward to reading this one...one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love how us readers can read the same paragraphs (or books) and have such varied opinions of what we've read. Thanks for all of your comments about this week's intro.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this book. When I finished it, I even read the first part again to relive the opening and its perfect symmetry. I hope the whole book is a winner for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hate to admit, I've never read a Toni Morrison book, but sounds like I should. Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a few Toni Morrison books in my TBR piles and yes, I would read Home. Thanks for the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.